Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   TFK.com Suggestions and Feedback (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tfk-com-suggestions-feedback/)
-   -   Reorganizing Fish and Plant Profiles (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tfk-com-suggestions-feedback/reorganizing-fish-plant-profiles-240122/)

spreadtoothinly 08-03-2013 06:48 PM

Reorganizing Fish and Plant Profiles

Hello everyone,
I'm relatively new here, and a total newbie to the hobby. I've been using this site to look up plant and fish species to consider (I THINK I've found what I'm looking for). While looking I've come up with some suggestions that I think would make the profiles MUCH easier to navigate.
I could be missing something obvious here, but from what I've found, you have to search for their (fish or plant) name. I think it would be nice if you could make a chart or something that tells what kind of fish/plants would work for various water parameters. Or when you go to where you now have the "search profiles" bar, have that, but also (below probably) a list of a pic of the fish, the name (common and scientific), and then boxes for the preferred pH, Hardness, and temperature. And maybe even minimum tank suggestion.
Also I think maybe a link at the top to this (or something like this one.) Tropical Fish Profiles.
Or what would be really cool, you could type in your pH and hardness, and it would give you a list (pics and names) of suitable fish.
This is just an idea of what *I* think would make the profiles easier to use, and I hope you will consider it.
Have a good day!:-D

djembekah 08-03-2013 08:26 PM

that's a cool an interesting idea! i like it.

ChuckinMA 08-04-2013 06:59 AM

That's a great suggestion. We do see many postings requesting stocking recommendations.

Beginning with water parameters as the independent variable, a listing of fish that would thrive in that environment could be generated. Perhaps start off with a few of common water profiles ( e.g. profile 1 = pH 6.5 to 7.0, soft water water less than x ppm, temperature 75 to 80 degrees, etc), then list the fish, linking each back to the excellent fish profiles already created on this site.

Another fun variation would be similar to Netflix suggestions--if you like fish "A", then the following recommendations would be suitable tankmates based on compatible water parameters, temperment, etc.

spreadtoothinly 08-04-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

that's a cool an interesting idea! i like it.
Thanks! I'm glad you like it!
Quote:

Beginning with water parameters as the independent variable, a listing of fish that would thrive in that environment could be generated. Perhaps start off with a few of common water profiles ( e.g. profile 1 = pH 6.5 to 7.0, soft water water less than x ppm, temperature 75 to 80 degrees, etc), then list the fish, linking each back to the excellent fish profiles already created on this site.

Another fun variation would be similar to Netflix suggestions--if you like fish "A", then the following recommendations would be suitable tankmates based on compatible water parameters, temperment, etc.
OOO, that sounds so cool!

Chesh 08-06-2013 11:36 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, STT - and Chuck. Netflix for fish *giggle* I just love coming on here and seeing all the wonderful ideas our members come up with for us to investigate. . .figuring out how to put them into effect is a lil' bit of something else, though! ^_^

Its a good suggestion. . . the profiles are always going to be a work in progress, I'm sure you've noticed that we're making changes to them every day - little by little - to make them more easy to navigate as well as keep them up to date as new information comes out. I don't know much about coding, or exactly what admin Yung would have to do from a technical aspect to make something like this a reality, but I DO know that to try to cross-reference ALL of the fish and ALL of the plants in our database would be a MASSIVE undertaking. I suspect we'd have to re-do the format of each individual profile (there are hundreds of them!) one at a time in order to ensure that something like this would actually work and be effective - there are so many different ways to cross-reference the information we have in the profiles - for now they're just each individual posts, more or less. . . I'd guess that in order for this to work, we'd have to have fields for the temp, Gh/Kh, etc. and we'd also have to add in experience levels, too - since some fish and plants are better for beginners and some need more experienced care. . . I don't think this is as easy as tweaking a simple search function (though I *could* be wrong!) Something more complex like Chuck's suggestion I have even less of an idea what that would require.

I understand your frustration, though. There is so much research that I put in before bringing anything home to my tank, it would be really nice if there were SOME kind of 'cheat' to make getting started easier - but on the other hand, digging for information and learning about these amazing animals (and plants!) is half the fun (for me)! One of the most amazing things about fish (and plant!) keeping is that there is ALWAYS something new to learn, no matter how long you've been at it. I started by going to my local fish shop with a notebook and wrote down the names of each fish that caught my eye, then came home and looked them all up. Needless to say, most of them were crossed off my list pretty quickly - but not before I had learned a *little* bit about them!

Even if we could pull off an amazing tool like this, there are so many things with fish-keeping that is truly specific to the individual tank - this seems to be especially true with plants. I can have two tanks that are set up as close to exactly the same as I can make them, and cuttings from the same plant may thrive in one, but fail in the other. So mysterious!

One thing I CAN say is that, to some extent, a lot of this stuff DOES become second-nature. As you become more familiar with the hobby, you just. . . remember some of the more common things. It's all so overwhelming when you're just getting started - but it does get easier as time goes on. Or at least it has for me.

Sorry, babbling again, lol. I get too excited. :)

Great suggestion - we will be sure to look into it further. We are building a team that will be doing a lot of work on the profiles, so we'll discuss your suggestion and see if there is any way of making it a reality - though I suspect that a project like this, to be done properly, would take quite some time to complete! It's not going to be an easy or a quick one, for sure, but hopefully someday! :-D

spreadtoothinly 08-06-2013 01:19 PM

I TOTALLY understand this would be VERY hard to accomplish, but I'm glad everyone (so far at least) seems to think it's a good idea! Thank you for checking up on all these posts!

Chesh 08-06-2013 01:25 PM

Thank YOU for posting! I really can't tell you how much we love your feedback. . . hopefully we'll find a way, even if it takes a while. A tool like this would help so many people. . .and could potentially save the lives of a lot of animals, which is the most important thing.

BWG 08-06-2013 02:02 PM

Just an idea on this since the tropical fish subforum can already be searched.

Why not create ranges for everything (Random example <6.0 ph would be very acidic, 6.0-6.5 would be acidic, 6.5-7.0 would be mildy acidic, etc)? Do that for everything you might want to be able to search for and you'll have keywords to put at the bottom of each profile. Then make a sticky in the profile subforum with the ranges and their corresponding keyword. Then a person could take their parameters, go look up what ranges they are in, run a search, and find all the right profiles.

So if my water is 6.0 and 3 dGH I could go look and see that means very acidic and very soft (or whatever they are called). Put that and any other search criteria (temperature, biotope, community safe, etc) in and I get the profiles I want.

If that's a feasible idea it shouldn't require coding. Just someone making the ranges and then adding them to the profiles. A fish that could live in a wide range of hardness would require keywords for each of those ranges. Some profiles tweaking might be needed too. For instance several livebearers come up because they say "This species like all livebearers will not last in soft, acidic water." Just change that to get rid of those words, instead saying something like "This species must have hard, basic water in order to be healthy."

Just my idea. Shouldn't require coding, but would be a bunch of work.

Chesh 08-07-2013 05:46 PM

Good thinking, BWG - and all of you. . . still. . . its a massive undertaking! All I can say is - we'll talk about it and see if we can figure out a way to make it happen. Cuz' it would be awesome. But don't expect anything QUICKLY on this one ^.^

Keep those suggestions coming!!! <3