Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   my blue ram cichlids are spawning...need advice (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/my-blue-ram-cichlids-spawning-need-23974/)

swingshift 05-15-2009 01:29 AM

my blue ram cichlids are spawning...need advice

moved my pair, along with the rock they picked out, into a breeding net today. within an hour, they started actively spawning. they're just finishing up now, with about 100 or so eggs on the rock. i've also got some java moss, and some java fern leaves for shade and privacy. how long should i leave the parents with the eggs? i'm a little out of my element here, and any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

swingshift 05-15-2009 01:30 AM

oh, for the record, they're in a heavily planted 55gal, basic tropical community setup...
regularly maintained...

1077 05-15-2009 04:46 AM

Always best in my view to leave these little cichlids alone. They are very good at watching over their eggs without our intervention. Moving them can cause stress and they will eat the eggs if conditions are not to their liking. If you are fortunate and eggs hatch,, you will need some fry food such as microworms and baby brine shrimp to feed the young (tiny). The use of a turkey baster or something similar can help with getting the food to the babies. You should not be too dissapointed if they eat the eggs after a few days,, many do this until they get it right and conditions are to their liking. The young fish will be fine with their parents who are FULLY capable of fending off unwanted intruders. Good Luck.

1077 05-15-2009 08:09 AM

I should have added to previous post,,, Do see here for much more info on rams . www.Dwarfcichlids.com to the left of the page,, scroll down to Ramirezi. You mentioned a heavily planted tank which is usually asscociated with somewhat soft water that rams prefer,, but I am thinking that perhaps your plants,depending on species or types,, may not appreciate the warm waters that rams need. Most,,recommend temp of 80 to 86 degrees F.

swingshift 05-15-2009 12:12 PM

thanks for the advice, 1077. it's officialy too late for me to leave them alone, and i should have mentioned that this is their second spawning since they paired off. last time, i didn't know anything was going on until i saw a cloud of fry in the corner of the tank. the parents were very protective of the fry, but they were all gone within 3 or 4 days. that prompted me to be more proactive this time, once i saw the female's belly with visible roe, and the male was flaring color more than usual.
this morning, everything's good so far.
FYI, water's about 82F,
ammonia's at 0ppm
nitrite's at 0ppm
nitrate's less than 5ppm
ph is 6.4
last tested on tuesday evening (it's friday morning now)
plants are willow leaf hygro, ceylon hygro, red rubin sword(about a foot across) java fern, java moss, one red lilly, juvenile.

1077 05-16-2009 03:33 AM

Water sounds perfect for these little warriors! I do hope you have success. I would almost take a sharp stick in the eye for your ph!:cheers:

swingshift 05-16-2009 10:18 AM

i know! it comes out of my tap at about 7 to 7.2 most of the time, and i do a 40%-50% water change once a week. my ph sometimes dips down to 6.2, but that's usually less than a day before maintenance.
the eggs are ripening, by the way!

swingshift 05-17-2009 07:40 PM

OK, we've got larvae! any thoughts on how long until the yolk sacs have been absorbed?

swingshift 05-19-2009 01:12 AM

73 views and no one else has any advice for me? my babies are free swimming, and have sequestered themselves into the wad of java moss. i've been feeding them a small dropper of hikari first bites 3-4 times a day. when am i going to be able to see them again? the darn things are almost invisible...

1077 05-19-2009 05:46 AM

The java moss will be very helpful. All kinds of infusoria and organisims for the fry to feed on. Three or four feedings a day is fine. Just keep up with water changes in the fry tank. Maybe add some more java moss for reasons stated. I might consider moving the parents back to the larger tank so that they don't try and compete with the fry for food, or perhaps try and eat the young which the male will sometimes attempt ,if he views them as hindurance to his advances with female. If the fry are in a tank by themselves ,with no threat of predation, then they should be ok without the parents. I would perhaps perform daily small water changes in fry tank ,and would provide a steady supply of java moss along with the fry food ,taking great pains to maintain the water quality. Get a large magnifying glass to view the fry ,but I would try not to disturb them if at all possible. Hope some of this helps.