Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Newbie needs advice please (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/newbie-needs-advice-please-239417/)

Cricketbug 08-02-2013 02:08 PM

Newbie needs advice please

Hello All!

I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to planted aquariums and aquascaping. However, I've watched tons of videos and read a few articles. I will be starting my first planted tank tomorrow, and was wondering if any of you might have some suggestions or advice for starting it up? I plan to use a substrate layer in the back area of the tank, covered with natural gravel, and I will have some sand areas as well. We plan to leave it without any fish for about a week or so to let the water settle and the plants start to do their thing. I want it to look as natural as possible.

Any advice on set-up or suggestions on plant types, fish, substrate types or typical dos and don'ts would be very much appreciated. I don't want to make stupid newbie mistakes.

I'm so excited to finally get started!

Thanks so much,

Crystal (aka Cricket)

Boredomb 08-02-2013 02:30 PM

Hey Cricket ,
Welcome to Tropical Fish keeping!

When you say substrate layer covered with gravel what do you exactly mean??
As for plant suggestions this is going to depend on your lights. What kind do you have?

Cricketbug 08-02-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 2708185)
Hey Cricket ,
Welcome to Tropical Fish keeping!

When you say substrate layer covered with gravel what do you exactly mean??
As for plant suggestions this is going to depend on your lights. What kind do you have?

Thank you :)

By substrate layer, I mean soil layer. I've seen a lot of videos and information on using soil/dirt below your layer of gravel and how this is supposed to be the best thing for growing plants more naturally. From what I've found, the most highly suggested substrates are Carbisea Planted Aquarium Eco-Complete Substrate and MericalGrow Organic Choice Potting Mix.

The tank I have was a gift from my husband's dad. It has led lighting... not sure if that's a good or bad thing for the plants. I know it's better for the electric bill, but if it's no good for plants, I'm willing to change it. :)

The only fish I have at the moment (who are housed at my in-laws until my tank is set up) are a couple of medium sized Angel Fish.

spreadtoothinly 08-02-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

By substrate layer, I mean soil layer. I've seen a lot of videos and information on using soil/dirt below your layer of gravel and how this is supposed to be the best thing for growing plants more naturally. From what I've found, the most highly suggested substrates are Carbisea Planted Aquarium Eco-Complete Substrate and MericalGrow Organic Choice Potting Mix.
You don't need soil under the substrate, however for plants it is better to use sand vs. gravel. If you want to do the soil, you certainly can, but I don't know enough to recommend a particular brand. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in!
Quote:

It has led lighting... not sure if that's a good or bad thing for the plants.
It depends what kind it is, I know JDM has success with LEDs, and I am planning on doing a planted thank with LEDs. What brand and make (is that the right word... probably not, but hopefully you know what I mean.) is it?

Cricketbug 08-02-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spreadtoothinly (Post 2708345)
You don't need soil under the substrate, however for plants it is better to use sand vs. gravel. If you want to do the soil, you certainly can, but I don't know enough to recommend a particular brand. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in!
It depends what kind it is, I know JDM has success with LEDs, and I am planning on doing a planted thank with LEDs. What brand and make (is that the right word... probably not, but hopefully you know what I mean.) is it?

From all the research I've done, I've kinda set my heart on doing the soil layer. It just feels like a more natural way of doing it.

As for the brand of LED light... I can't answer that because honestly I don't know. I've looked at it, but it doesn't seem to have any branding on it at all and I think it might be a custom built job.. >.< Not very helpful I guess.. Sorry.

Boredomb 08-02-2013 03:20 PM

Miracle grow organic potting mix is fine. I have used it several times. I would go no more then 2" with it and then about an 1-1and half inches of whatever you choice for a cap. But I would have to say I would wait 2 weeks after doing that to make sure the parameters are safe. I have heard if they are going to change they will do so usually within the first 10 days. Mine never did but I started out with lots of plants.

As for the lights I have no experience with LEDs but JDM does. With certain LEDs you can only grow low light plants. That's what I would try at first too see.

Cricketbug 08-02-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 2708601)
Miracle grow organic potting mix is fine. I have used it several times. I would go no more then 2" with it and then about an 1-1and half inches of whatever you choice for a cap. But I would have to say I would wait 2 weeks after doing that to make sure the parameters are safe. I have heard if they are going to change they will do so usually within the first 10 days. Mine never did but I started out with lots of plants.

As for the lights I have no experience with LEDs but JDM does. With certain LEDs you can only grow low light plants. That's what I would try at first too see.

Great! Thanks for the suggested measurements for the top layers. I've been wondering how deep I needed to go with that, and had been planning something along those lines, but it's nice to get actual advice from someone on it. I shall wait the 2 weeks to be safe, though I do plan on putting a lot of plants in. To be honest, the plants are going to be the main focus for the tank.

I know the LED lights that he has are super bright, and he got this particular set because of that. He also had some live plants in his tank. He says the light is pretty much like daylight would be. Still, I'll try to stick to plants who don't need too much in the way of lighting to start. Thanks again for the advice there! :)

rexpepper651 08-02-2013 04:13 PM

i have 1- 2 inches of soil capped with half 1 inch of play sand tank has been up and running for about 3 weeks or so now. water hasnt changed. i did plant it right away and also left my lights off for a couple days after. i did this so i wouldnt get algae from all the excise nutrients. i did waters changes daily for the first 4 days then every other day for another 3 days and now once a week i do about 40% change. everything is looking great thus far. water parameters are all good . i noticed my crypts are going wild in the dirt already sprouting new babies! hope everything works out for you :)

Cricketbug 08-02-2013 04:18 PM

Sounds great Rexpepper! I hope I am as lucky. I was planning the water changes every day for the first week then every other day for the second. After that, down to once a week for a few weeks. I will def let you know how mine goes. I'm continually watching videos and such to get more ideas on how I want to plant it and what type of decoration I want. I've got small bit of driftwood root that will be going in there and a few stones that I like the look of. Not sure what else. I may pick up more wood tomorrow when I go to get the supplies and plants. I'm looking at it as a project and experiment to see what works best. :)

JDM 08-02-2013 08:00 PM

What are the specs on the LEDs that you have, there must at least be a wattage or some rating on it somewhere. "Custom job" certainly could mean a whole lot of things.

As far as I have played with LEDs I've used I've found that the light levels are, per linear foot of tank:

- less than 4 Watts = low light Java ferns, moss, crupts and the like. Sparse surface plants and some of those might not do well depending on variety. Duck weed would be OK.

- 4 Watts = low to medium light, Swords, apogonatons, Valls, pennyworts, surface plants are fine but too much coverage can shade too much of the tank for much more than standard swords.

I didn't play with 8 Watts per linear foot but it would obviously be somewhere in the middle

- 12 Watts = high light plants, this will handle most, if not, all high light plants and allow lots of surface plants (I had 6-8 inch thickness of massed surface plants and all my low to medium light plants were still doing well, I just pruned them back heavily for aesthetics and to allow for my new frogbit)

All this assumes that they are in the 5,000 to 7,000 Kelvin range, another spec to look for on the unit.

I use a 24" -36" fixture over a 30" tank and the light is fine, I keep it down to one end to provide a lower lit area. If I had a 36" tank I would probably go with the 36" - 48".

Besides the lower electric bill, they produce less waste heat, last longer (some are rated for 50,000 hours or about 12 years) but you need to get the right fixture as bulbs are not usually replaceable.

The dirt is something that, if you just want to do it, have at it, but if you are only doing it for the plants, they don't need it. Sand works well.

Jeff.