Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New Tank establishment from 20G (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-tank-establishment-20g-23827/)

JohnnyD44 05-10-2009 02:50 PM

New Tank establishment from 20G

Hey Guys,

Just quick question before I tackle my tank in an hour or so.....

I am going to set-up the new 55G tank with one of my marineland bio-wheel 350's and get the tank up to the proper temperature and after adding the decor and subtrate.

My question is this....Should I...
'
Add my 20G Marineland 200 Filter along side the 350 (add fish) and let them run together for about two weeks, then remove the 200 filter and add the other 350 filter??

or

Should I take out the filter cartrides and biowheel from my 200 filter and place them in one of the 350 filters?? So it's still the same filter media, just in a new housing unit?? (add fish)

Does it make a difference or not?? I just want to do whats safest for my fish and quickest for me! :lol:

Let me know guys, I am so excited for this tank you have no idea!!!

Thanks!!

willow 05-10-2009 03:17 PM

hay :)
i love the thrill of setting up a new tank.
this is from my own personal use.
when setting up a new tank,i swop media from one filter to another,
like halving the media trays.

aquakid 05-10-2009 03:18 PM

It is a good idea but no. # 1 your 20 gallon would be without a filter. #2 your 20 gallon may have beneficial stuff but it may also carry DORMANT PARASITES/FUNGUS that are bad. you also can not see dormant parasites. it's a risky procedure and you risk killing the bacteria on the 20 gallon filter due to shock of no ammonia to consume

JohnnyD44 05-10-2009 07:30 PM

I don't plan on using the 20G once the 55G is set-up, I've read somewhere before that doing the filter will allow you to add fish almost right away

Byron 05-10-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD44 (Post 194298)
I don't plan on using the 20G once the 55G is set-up, I've read somewhere before that doing the filter will allow you to add fish almost right away

If I'm correct in assuming that your fish are those listed for your 20g under "Aquariums" then yes, I would move them all into the 55g provided the water is conditioned, proper temp and filters running. I would dose the tank with "Cycle" (or a similar biological product) when I put in the first fish to further lessen the stress on the fish (the existing filter media with bacteria will do this a bit, but it doesn't hurt to help out).

Last October I set up my 70g from scratch, used some of the media from the filter on the 90g and dosed with Cycle and had 20+ fish in the tank and no problems that I could discern (all fish lived, ate, spawned, acted normal, etc).

JohnnyD44 05-10-2009 09:10 PM

great!!!!

Thanks everyone, I'll let you know how it goes!

willow 05-11-2009 02:10 AM

and don't forget we accept payment by pictures :)

JohnnyD44 05-11-2009 05:33 AM

yeah, thanks Willow. I found this tank with a crappy stand on craigslist and have been fixing it up. I've taken pictures throughout the stages.

willow 05-11-2009 06:25 AM

great stuff :)
will you make it a tank picture thread,or just a continuing thread here ?

JohnnyD44 05-11-2009 07:28 AM

probably do a tank picture thread....is there a spot for that on here?