Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Few cycling questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/few-cycling-questions-23792/)

azzip4 05-09-2009 01:28 PM

Few cycling questions

Its been 2 weeks since adding fish to our freshwater tank. I got these readings today 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 6.6 pH, 5 nitrate. I haven't had any ammonia or nitrite show up so far during testing...just wondering if its due to the fact that I added some stuff from my existing cycled 10 gallon or if I made a mistake. Seeing the nitrates today made me wonder if it could have cycled fast or if I have done something wrong.

Some info:

Added filter cartridge from existing cycled 10 gallon tank and part of the filter that had visible gunk when we started the tank. Also addes Stress Coat and Stress Zyme.

Tank temp 79 deg.

Fish in tank at this point:
4 mickey mouse platys
4 red platys
4 neon tetras
6 red danios
2 von rio tetras
2 lemon tetras
5 cherry barbs

Feeding fish once a day no more than will eat in 3-5mins.

Running 2 marineland biowheel 350's

1- 300 watt marineland submersible heater (going to get a second one soon after a recommendation on here)

Tank has gotten the "bacterial bloom" cloudy look so I have done 3 water changes of 10 gallons each in the past week or so. I add Stress coat to the water before adding and it also sits for at least 3 days before I use it. I added enough stress zyme for 10 gallons of water at the change.

I also go by the bottle for the stress zyme adding the recommended amount on the first, 7th and 14th days so far.

So could the tank have cycled fast or are the nitrates up for another reason?

If I missed some info just ask. Thanks for your help or advice.

MBilyeu 05-09-2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azzip4 (Post 193973)
If I missed some info just ask.

How about the size of this tank:lol:

Since you have added existing media from a cycled filter, my question would be: how big is this tanks stocklist compared to the 10 gallon? Essentially by transferring cycled media over, you have instantly cycled this tank as long as there isn't a huge difference in bioload. If there was a slight difference the nitrates probably caught up within a few days. I would say that your tank is cycled, but make sure to not take out the transferred media for another week or two just to make sure enough bacteria transferred over.

The bloom is probably algae if your tests show no ammonia present. See if it clears itself up in a couple days, but make sure to test for ammonia each day.

Twistersmom 05-09-2009 08:58 PM

I am not trying to say your tank is not cycled, but check the stress zyme and see if you get a nitrate reading.
I have used cycle products before that contained nitrates.

azzip4 05-09-2009 09:33 PM

The new tank is 75 gallons. The 10 gallon at the time the media was removed had the 8 platys, 2 cherry barbs and 4 neons.

Byron 05-10-2009 11:02 AM

I think MBilyeu is correct, your tank has cycled easily because the water volume was large and the bioload small in relation to each other, and you introduced live bacteria with the seeding from the existing tank. I concur with his advice. I have cycled several tanks exactly like this (although sometimes I've used material from existing tank filters and other times "Cycle" with exactly the same results). I also agree not to jump the gun--keep testing, and if you intend to add more fish (I'm sure you do) do it slowly, i.e., a few fish at a time with several days between additions. It is possible to make the biological system crash by overloading, but once th tank is established (maintaining a biological equilibrium for a couple of months) the bacteria can multiply rapidly when new fish are added.

azzip4 05-10-2009 05:17 PM

Thank you for your replies. I will keep testing. I plan to keep the 10 gallon going and using it as a quarantine/hospital tank for new fish. I will make sure to add new fish slowly too...its much easier to do that with the larger tank....since there are already a great bunch in there...compared to what we could keep in the 10 gallon.