Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   ID these please (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/id-these-please-23750/)

princesuhaib 05-07-2009 02:36 PM

ID these please

7 Attachment(s)
Hey Everyone, As I mentioned before I have had this fur like alga, some are blue in color, and other is yellow. I finally got a chance to take few pics of it, also what looks like to be slime on a few of the rocks and the one larger coral that I am not sure of and I have 3 spout looking things that I am not sure what they are. Please any help would be great!

Thank You

Kellsindell 05-08-2009 06:24 AM

Pics 1-4 are sponge
5&6 Rock anemone
and 7 is a Zoanthid

onefish2fish 05-08-2009 06:39 AM

+1, #7 could be a paly too

Kellsindell 05-08-2009 08:14 AM

True, good lookin out!

princesuhaib 05-09-2009 03:10 PM

Thank You guys!

Should I allow the sponges to spread over my rocks, Will they eventually take over all of my rocks? Am I suppose to manage the sponges, or any info would be great regarding any of these.

Will the Zoanthid or Paly, continue to spread once developed? Also how long does it usually take for it to develop?

Should I be feeding the Rock Anemone cause I never have, unless it is eating the scrap food from regular flake food?

Thank You once Again

Kellsindell 05-11-2009 09:46 AM

The sponges are great filter feeders and will help pull a lot of the nitrates out of the water. They are suppose to be more effecient then algae in a refugium and some people go with dark refugiums to get different types of sponges to grow. They are a benifit IMHO and I keep them alive in my tank.

The rock nem... you can feed or not (I don't spot feed any coral or anemone). They are photosynthetic so you need good lighting over them, if you don't then feed them until you get good lighting over them. If you have no plans to upgrade, then i'd get rid of it. How big is your tank? If it's a nano, be aware they do get pretty big and have quite a bite to them. If you do have fish that will perch on things, like a blenny or hawkfish, then it can eat them. I know someone that had theirs get up to 1ft and ate 3 yellow tangs, a purple tang and a few lawnmower blennies. beware.

the Zoanthids or Palys, will spread on their own with good lighting and water movement. Developement depends on your lighting and flow. The stronger the light the better.

princesuhaib 05-11-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellsindell (Post 194451)
The sponges are great filter feeders and will help pull a lot of the nitrates out of the water. They are suppose to be more effecient then algae in a refugium and some people go with dark refugiums to get different types of sponges to grow. They are a benifit IMHO and I keep them alive in my tank.

The rock nem... you can feed or not (I don't spot feed any coral or anemone). They are photosynthetic so you need good lighting over them, if you don't then feed them until you get good lighting over them. If you have no plans to upgrade, then i'd get rid of it. How big is your tank? If it's a nano, be aware they do get pretty big and have quite a bite to them. If you do have fish that will perch on things, like a blenny or hawkfish, then it can eat them. I know someone that had theirs get up to 1ft and ate 3 yellow tangs, a purple tang and a few lawnmower blennies. beware.

the Zoanthids or Palys, will spread on their own with good lighting and water movement. Developement depends on your lighting and flow. The stronger the light the better.

Hey thank You, My tank is a 75g and here is the post to my tank! and its stages of upgrading :)

http://www.fishforum.com/saltwater-f...5g-tank-22900/