Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Water Chemistry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/)
-   -   Slime Algae? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/slime-algae-23713/)

sergiotami 05-06-2009 12:16 PM

Slime Algae?

I have a 90 gallon Oceanic with a 30 gallon sump with an Aqua C Urchin pro and a phos reactor, 110 lbs live rock, less than half an inch aragonite sand, I run my T5's lass than 6 hrs a day, SG 1.025, amonia 0, nitrite and nitrates 0 , temp 79 degrees F.....I do this and still get the algae, I was doing a 25% water change using RO/DI water once a month, but the local fish store told me I should be doing 25% water changes weekly.....Is this correct?

conger 05-06-2009 02:17 PM

what kind/brand of phosphate absorbing material do you use in your reactor? How often do you change it? On that note, how long has your tank been set up?

Some phosphate absorbing materials expire quickly, and will begin to leach back into the water... others are advertised to never leach back even after they fill up. using RO/DI is good, but phosphates will still work their way into the tank. Since you're using a phos reactor, my only other idea is to find out what kind of media you are using :-)

sergiotami 05-06-2009 02:34 PM

I'm using Phosban, and the reactor has been up two weeks.....My tank has been running 6 months....

conger 05-06-2009 02:46 PM

cool, well i'd say give it a bit more time. Phosban is what I use also, and I believe that it does not leach back in even when it fills up. I replace the media once a month. Assuming you already had some of this slime algae before you added it in, it will take more than a week or two to really get rid of it. If it's cyano, just keep sucking it out the best you can with a turkey baster, or small siphon hose, or however, to remove most of the mass, and eventually with no nitrates or phosphates in the tank, it should die off and stay gone.

I have a 90 gallon also, and I do 25 gallon water changes every two weeks. I think 25% weekly would be a bit excessive, probably stressful on the livestock, but if you wanted to do weekly changes, 10% would be a better target.

sergiotami 05-06-2009 03:12 PM

Thank You, will do as you suggested...:)

SKAustin 05-07-2009 06:58 AM

One suggestion I can provide is to check the problem areas for detritus accumulation. Once you've syphoned out the cyanobacteria (which should be done in early evening, just before lights in the tank go out) take a baster and blow loose any settling detritus within the crevases in the rocks. If detritus is settling in specific areas more than others, you may need to increase or redirect the flow. Make the step of blowing the detritus out of the rocks part of your routine monthly maintenance.