Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Random Fish Foods (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/random-fish-foods-23664/)

dapsta 05-04-2009 07:15 PM

Random Fish Foods

Hi there,
I've got a large aquarium with a decent mix of tropical fish. I've been experimenting with foods to see what my fish will eat. this is mainly because I'm concerned about a few of them in the tank that are looking a little skinny, I'm hoping a different range of foods and nutrients might help. Because its a mix of carnivorous and herbivorous I've thus tries, tuna, dried cray fish banana and cucumber. they eat these things and seem to love them. i guess the main question is, do they eat it because they like it or do they just eat anything. also is there anything wrong with feeding them these things?

my tank has
5 mollies
3 gouramis
2 angels
14 neon tetras
1 oscar
1 gblack knife ghost fish
1 betta splender
3 tiger bards
1 pictus catfish
1 silver shark
1 rainbow shark
4 guppies
and 4 platys

cheers

froglady 05-04-2009 07:41 PM

What kind of guppies do you have?

dapsta 05-05-2009 05:06 AM

my guppies are just common pet store males.i have a full bodied orange one, rainbow tailed (like the one in your pic), a yellow leopard tale pattern and full blue.

1077 05-05-2009 05:21 AM

I would think that the neons and guppies would soon become snacks for Angelfish and oscar depending on size of the angelfish and the oscar. If what you are feeding is in addition to prepared foods which contain many of the needed vitamins and nutrition,, then I see nothing harmful with offering them as occasional snack. For prepared foods, (sold for fishes) I would look for foods high in protein and vitamins especially Vitamin C for Oscar who as he grows will quickly dispose of other fish in the tank such as mollys,barbs,platys and possibly gourami's as well.

dapsta 05-05-2009 05:44 AM

would an oscar really take out mollies and Gouramis? My molly's are all fairly large sailfin and my gouramis are pretty large as well. the oscar is currently the smallest one of the smallest in the tank oter than tetras and guppies. i started feeding tuna mainly for the oscar, because he would try to take chunks out of other fish. i figure if its appetite for meat is satisfied, it will mean my smaller shish will last a bit longer, even though i have sort of come to the conclusion that their fate is inevitable.

1077 05-05-2009 06:14 AM

Just the other day, I was at fish store and a couple came in with three oscars in a very large cooler. they wanted to give them to the lady who runs the fish store for they had become too large for their tank. The smallest of the three oscars was nearly twelve inches,the other two ,,close to sixteen inches. The fish store couldn't house the oscars and recommended that they take them to Petco (large chainstore) Poor oscars.:| Make no mistake,, Oscars will eat anything that will fit in their mouths.
Your fish will all do well in hard to medium hard water, with the exception of the Angelfish and neons who prefer softer more acidic water for their long term health. I have fed frozen, chopped, Krill and squid to large cichlids as well as a good pellet food that as mentioned,, contains the necessary nutrition and vitamins. Catfish and sharks would benefit from these as well in my opinion.