Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Score On Junk Day! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/score-junk-day-23641/)

Herky 05-03-2009 07:27 PM

Score On Junk Day!

3 Attachment(s)
Or I hope it is at least. Every year around this time my town has a few days where people can put out anything they want to have hauled away and its always a good time to get some free stuff if you are inclined to do so...so I went aquarium hunting. I found quite a few broken, split, and otherwise bad ones but I found a few I think may be diamonds in the rough. All comes down to if they hold water or not though. The first pic is a little ten gallon that has everything in it, hood, filter, rock...the works. Haven't cleaned it up yet so it looks pretty nasty, but it will do. Next is the huge tank...don't know what size, it's just massive...gotta be 50+? The last one I'm not quite sure what it is, I think it may be a terrarium or lizard/reptile tank of some sorts so not quite sure what to do with it, if I remember correctly they don't hold a full load of water like a regular tank...if so, is it just the seals or is the glass not strong enough? I'm going to fill all three and leave them outside and look for leaks..but it was fun getting them at the least.

froglady 05-03-2009 07:44 PM

Good find. hope they hold water.

mollies 05-03-2009 09:35 PM

They all look like fish tanks an not terium. The last pic looks like a 20 short. Maybe get measurements and we could let you know. The middle if it is 20 inchs tall 48 inchs wide its a 55 gallon. Great find. I hope they hold water for you. good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Herky 05-03-2009 10:11 PM

Yeah I did measure them, and it comes out to being a 20 gal, and a 55 gal. Testing the 20 gal overnight tonight. The 10 gal I haven't even touched yet..so disgusting. :sick:

MBilyeu 05-04-2009 05:27 PM

Does the 55 have a top center brace? If so, you have 3 aquariums my friend. Great find!

Herky 05-05-2009 07:42 AM

yep, the 55 does have a center brace. the 10 gal and 20 gal hold water fine. I have yet to try the big boy out because I haven't wanted to lug it back outside...don't really like the idea of a tank that big possibly leaking in the house.

1077 05-05-2009 08:05 AM

I am so jealous that I think I sall not speak to you for a while.:jk:

Herky 05-05-2009 02:22 PM

haha don't feel too bad...the one I really wanted was this odd looking tank, never seen anything like it: same width and depth as my 29 gal, but at least twice as tall. I went to go get my brother's truck to haul it, and in the 10 min I was gone someone came by and dropped it, shattering one entire side. I nearly cried, it was an awesome aquarium, probably never see one like it again and it was in pristine condition...didn't even look like it had been used.

Katydid 05-08-2009 06:04 PM

I just got a 50 gal off freecycle, and decided to use the aquarium sealant stuff on it again even though it seemed to hold water well..... its so inexpensive, compared to suddenly springing a leak in my second sory apartment....
You might want to seal especially the 55 gal one.....

Herky 05-08-2009 07:07 PM

yeah, that's kinda what I'm thinking...going to give the 55 to my nephew as a housewarming gift when he moves into his new house at the end of the month so he can get back into fish. I was already thinking about doing it just to make sure...a leaky 55 gal tank would not be a fun mess to clean up.