Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   Frivolic (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/frivolic-23630/)

AColer 05-03-2009 02:43 PM

Frivolic

Team,

I just bought the new Red Sea Max 250 and the water temperature on the tank is hovering at 88 degrees. The ambient room temperature is around 78. I even turned the heater off thinking it might be a malfunctioning heater. I am only running the day lights for 6 hours a day and night lights for the rest of the 24 hour cycle. I plan to increase the lighting two hours every tow days until I reach 12 - 14 hours of day lighting. I've ordered a chiller but don't understand why the temp is so hot! It has to be the lights I suppose. I am curing live rock and am petrified I just spent a ton of money on live rock and the heat is going to kill off the live rock.

Anybody else ever had this issue and any ideas?

Frivolic

froglady 05-03-2009 03:50 PM

Wish I knew about saltwater tanks. but I dont. the temp thing is a mistery to me. hope someone has some ideas.

Pasfur 05-04-2009 06:05 AM

Both the lights and the pumps put off a lot of heat. 88F is very high and reason for concern. First, I would check the temperature with another thermometer, just to ensure it is accurate.

One simple solution to bring down the heat is to add a small fan to your system. Many people use "computer fans", easily found at Radio Shack. Their small size makes them easy to attach to the sump, or simply attach to the frame of your aquarium and blow the air across the water surface.

klosxe 05-04-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasfur (Post 192705)
Both the lights and the pumps put off a lot of heat. 88F is very high and reason for concern. First, I would check the temperature with another thermometer, just to ensure it is accurate.

One simple solution to bring down the heat is to add a small fan to your system. Many people use "computer fans", easily found at Radio Shack. Their small size makes them easy to attach to the sump, or simply attach to the frame of your aquarium and blow the air across the water surface.

yea a fan should help bring some of the heat over the surface of that water between the lights and the tank down...

I think a chiller is the way to go, especially if it is staying that high constantly; that temp is a real reason for concern, like Pasfur said...

AColer 05-18-2009 06:22 PM

chiller

well, I spent the fortune it costs to purchase the chiller unit for my Red Sea Max 66G tank. The temperature is now where it needs to be around 78 degrees F. I was wondering if anyone has an idea on what the electric costs might run with the chiller. I have a 1/4 hp unit. In fact I'm holding my breath on what the costs of running the Red Sea Max tank is going to be. I purchased my first corals (tiny frags) and all but the mushroom seem to be doing pretty good. After a few more weeks I will try a larger piece and add a few fish.

I have 8 tanks in my house; 1-150, 2-125, 1-120, 1-75 (Salt), 1-66 (Coral), 1-42 (Salt). Living in Florida I don't need the heater with the exception of the 150 tank which houses discus, angels and a variety of other warmer climate fish.

I purchased the harlequin basslet for the reef tank based on the local aquarium shops suggestion and then found out that they are not reef safe fish so I had to move him to one of my other salt tanks. Of course when i did that it took out one of my dart fish.

Oh well I guess that is enough for today. I appreciate any insight you might have.

Art

Kellsindell 05-19-2009 07:47 AM

Personally, and some will disagree, I would use the chiller as a back up solution only that won't run every few days. I keep my temp at 81.5F and my SPS, Soft corals and LPS are great. I've been running this temp for many day and the "general" degree for ocean is around 80-82F and yes i undestand that some of the ocean is warmer and cooler, but generally it's 80-82F.

Use fans and you can also raise the bulbs higher off the water's surface. what lights are you using? You need to find the heating factor. If you ever have a pump go out on the chiller and your tank gets to 88F without it, then you run a high risk of killing a lot of live stock because more then likly it'll be a huge temp swing.

Another thing that could be causing the heat is your room temp. When i didn't have any A/C (from Oct until yesterday) the temp would hang around 80F as my room temp and couldn't bring down the temp any lower then 83F using fans. I can live with that, but if you don't have that circulation, it could increase the temp by quite a bit. Without the fan the temp would get well over 86F and i quickly attached the fan after only 1 of my MH bulbs turned on.