Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   Need help with bicher tank please! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/need-help-bicher-tank-please-2363/)

soco1125 01-10-2007 12:59 AM

Need help with bicher tank please!

I've already asked this question in the "catfish" section, but I figured I'd ask here too for a little insight from a different angle. I'm in the process setting up a 55g planted tank for a couple of ornate bichers and maybe ABFs. The problem is that I'm going to need something to keep the algae under control. I had read that some plecos were good for this, but I really don't want one that's going to be so big that it trashes the tank. What do you all who have bichers keep them with?

Any help is much appreciated :)

Lupin 01-10-2007 03:36 AM

I had bichirs before. They were kept with a horrible mix of fish mainly because it was my father who used to keep fish before I entered the hobby.
I wouldn't divulge what fish were mixed or else I'd risk seeing some people trying the combos too.:shake: Only the arowana was compatible with the bichirs and nothing else.:)

Jaysn 01-10-2007 01:10 PM

I'm currently keeping two bichir in my 55 gal community tank, and as long as the other fish are too big for the bichir to fit in their mouths they are ok. The neons I found on sale didn't last long, one night I had 11, the next morning I had 4 and two very happy bichir. I think they are what killed my ABF though, so you may want to rethink that idea :(. Incidentally, they both get chased around by my skunktail loach.

blueblue48 01-10-2007 07:22 PM

if you want a smaller pleco im pretty sure that bristlenose plecos only get 4-6 inches?

Daz 01-11-2007 03:07 AM

I keep my with SA Cic's he's fine.

Gump 01-11-2007 01:33 PM

I keep my bichirs with a big mix of fish. clown loaches(big ones), lungfish, AEN, numerous syno cats, some geophagus, rasboras, and i use a fei fing for algea control.

Your 55 gallon isnt big enough for an ornate or a fei fing for life but would make a good grow out for the fei fing. Plecos are an option and they do make some bigger fancys that would go well with bichirs as long as they dont suck on the bichirs. commons and bn are the two that would be easily found and cheep and would work well.

mikelouth 01-12-2007 03:06 AM

I have 3 Senagal and 1 Delhezi, I keep Bristlenose, gold spot, Royal and watermelon plecs with mine also a large apple snail (given to me when a mate went to Germany).
Ive had no problem with compatability as they are all bigger than the Birchirs, One thing to watch out for is too have a good lid as I had 1 of my Delhezi's disapear into 1 of my Labradors when it jumped out when I was cleaning.

soco1125 01-14-2007 12:39 AM

I finally was able to go talk to the guy at my LFS. I hadn't been able to talk to him about this yet because my LFS is about 40 miles away and I can't just hop over there whenever! Anyways, he did suggest bristlenose and told me he'd bring some of his babies in from home next week. I figure I'll go ahead and get one and put the little feller in my Amazon tank to let him chow down on the algae in there and get nice and big before I get the bichers in February.