Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   My moms interesting experience...CUTE! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/my-moms-interesting-experience-cute-23611/)

Guppy Girl 05-02-2009 03:13 PM

My moms interesting experience...CUTE!

Alright, I thought I would share what my mom told me, and showed me while visiting her house.

Well, she has a very gorgeous crown tail male betta in a 2 gallon tank.
She decided to see if he would be okay housed with two female guppies. All was fine for about two weeks when he began savagly attacking the female guppies. They were quickly removed.
About a month later, mom took a good look into the bettas tank, and low and behold he was gaurding baby guppies!
The strange thing is mom used to feed him guppy fry when she had too many, but he was GAURDING these ones. They were HIS babys.
She waited and waited, and expected them to be eaten, but every day there would always be his four baby guppies swimming around in there. He even plays with them. Its quite adorable.

Ive never heard of this, but it definitly tells you that some bettas can be real softies.

Ill have to try to get pictures next time I go up if mom didnt transfer them into her other tanks. Its quite a site.

(PS, the momma guppies are perfectly fine, just had some torn fins and missing scales).

whitedevil 05-02-2009 06:54 PM

Surrogacy is not uncommon in the animal kingdom at all, it happens all the time.

Bettas are softies, they are only aggressive over territory and to other male bettas. My new betta is a very firm believer in territory staying sacred, my last betta could give a hoot who slept in his corner or cave, Its personality not breed IMO, Im the same way with "vicous" dog breeds, Its not the whole breed just personalities either bred in or beat in.

Its neat that he did that but maybe you gotta think of it as he is a male betta, they do the egg protecting and fry rearing anyways, not the females and female guppies are close enough in size and shape to confuse the poor lad.

Guppy Girl 05-02-2009 08:35 PM

Yeah, I know that. Thats what I was thinking when mom told me that. Its cool that he cares for them though. Never thought he would haha

dramaqueen 05-02-2009 08:41 PM

Thats pretty cool! I read on another forum one time about a male betta putting pieces of frozen daphnia into a bubblenest and guarding them.

Guppy Girl 05-03-2009 10:53 AM

LOL
awe, gee they are cute little critters.
Makes me miss mine.
Maybe I will get another one soon xD

dramaqueen 05-03-2009 01:55 PM

I hope you can. Maybe when the time is right you will. :)

Kim 05-03-2009 04:03 PM

That's sooo cute!

willow 05-03-2009 04:06 PM

aww how sweet is that. :)

IonBaller07 05-09-2009 01:51 PM

Wait I think I missed a part, I get that he was guarding them which is very cute, but did he impregnate the female or were they preggo already?

Bottomfeeder 05-09-2009 02:39 PM

thats AWESOME...lol