Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Full grown Angelfish, what can go with him?

8K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  ox dynamics xo 
#1 ·
My aunt just gave me her 55 gallon tank which included a gorgeous full grown Angelfish and 1 white tetra. She's had just these two in there for several years. I'd like to add some more fish in there but have to be very careful because this Angel is huge and territorial. Does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 ·
Some corys for the bottom level would be OK, in a 55g you can do it right and have a nice group (they should be maintained in groups as they are highly social and shoaling fish by nature), say 12 but no fewer than 6 or 7. Same species or mixed, they fare well, although given the choice they seem to be "chummier" with their own species; I've had good luck with minimum 3 of each species and up to 20+ in a 90g. If you like plecos, there are smallish species that would work. And ottocinclus to handle the algae if you have plants (which the angels would appreciate).

Some types of tetras would be OK, but not the active ones. Angels are quiet almost sedentary fish that like to slowly cruise the environment browsing and grazing plant leaves and wood. Active companions could stress it, or worse cause it to nip at them or eat them, depending upon size (the angel and the tetras). Cardinal tetras are frequently suggested as suitable tankmates for angels, moreso than neons which tend to be seen more as food or sometimes nip the angels' fins. Angels also like warmer water than many "community" fish, and cardinals also do well in warmer temperatures. Rummy nose tetras are the same. Some of the Hyphessobrycon species would work. And if the water pH is 7 or slightly above, livebears are often housed with angels. The fry will get eaten, which is a good source of live food for the angel.

Angels are also social shoaling fish, and a few more would be OK. However, as it has been years since I've bred angels (1980's) I've somewhat forgotten their traits to others if they're used to being alone. I'm sure one of the other members having experience with angels could advise us whether or not it is safe to find yours some companions.

Reactions: NewFishFiend
#6 ·
What about a red tailed shark? I had one for many years that recently died of old age. I had him with guppies and neons and he was always really good with anything I put in with him. He did protect his hiding area. Would a big Angelfish mind or are they both too territorial?

I definitely want some more otos but they are hard to find around here.

#12 ·
The rainbow shark might work, and it might not. They can get to be very territorial but they also tend to stick to the lower levels of the tank. So long as you've got a lot of hiding places for the shark to spend its time in, you should probably be ok.

I've heard rumors of swordtails being nippy but I've never seen this myself. They should be fine. If the two don't get along with one another, add a few more or possibly some females (at a ratio of at least two females to each male). They'll breed like crazy but the angel will eat the fry.

The black skirts are a schooling fish and are also known to be somewhat nippy, which could be problematic for the angel. Increasing the school size might help abate the problem but in the end if the tetras are persistent you might have to rehome them.

The otos should be just fine, but sometimes they can be so picky that the only thing they'll eat at all is algae. You can try things like algae wafers but if those don't work, you might need to use greens like spinach or even keep a rock in a bowl of water by a window and grow algae for them to eat.

The GloFish should probably be ok, but might be a little too frantic for the angel. They're also schoolers and should be in a group of at least six. If you don't want to shell out the money for more expensive GloFish, you could just add some standard zebra danios (GloFish are genetically modified zebra danios, but the fish don't know the difference and they'll school together).

#11 ·
I spawned angels once but it was in the 1980's and I've forgotten most about it; they were in a small tank, but they were a small pair. There are several on this forum with angelfish experience who will know the answer for you. Or you might check out some of the sites that provide info on each species, like Seriously Fish or FishBase. A Google search will identify dozens of sites no doubt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.