Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fluval Accent Pump Water Level Dropping (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fluval-accent-pump-water-level-dropping-235481/)

Consp 07-28-2013 12:27 AM

Fluval Accent Pump Water Level Dropping

Hi,

I have the Fluval Accent 25g aquarium and it was running well for the first 4 days after setup. Note that i did cap off the venturi tube so that it is no longer adding oxygen (bubbles) to the output and this has been this way and running well since setup. Around day 5, I heard water flowing into the middle chamber and bubbles were coming from the output. I checked the filter setup and the middle chamber water level had dropped around 2 inches exposing the plastic static tube that connects to the output allowing air to enter the output. I am not sure as to why the water level dropped.

The only way i see to make the water level normalize and increase, is to lift the filter a centimeter or so to allow for extra flow. However, this will add unfiltered water to the mixture. Has anyone else experienced this? I am going to remove the entire filter mechanism tomorrow to make sure i did not miss anything in the setup, check for clogs...etc but in the meantime thought i would see if anyone else may be experiencing the same issue.

I know the Accent is new to market so there may not be a lot out there but if you can relate this to a different filter setup, any advice would be appreciated. I am new to how aquarium filters function.

Thanks for reading,

Consp

Consp 07-28-2013 10:57 AM

Update:

Removed the filter and saw nothing wrong and nothing clogged. Reinstalled and it is now working as designed. Maybe an air bubble in the bio ball tank was causing the issue... Not sure.

Consp

Galaxy Hunter 07-29-2013 03:32 PM

If you find out anything on that issue, please post. Just bought one of these for my daughter and am getting close to filling it up !

Consp 07-29-2013 09:26 PM

Been running fine since i took it apart and put it back together. I am going to assume at this point that there was an air pocket in one of the chambers. Best of luck, it is a really cool system. If you do not want the bubbles from the pump output, just clamp the Venturi tube to disallow air flow and keep it plugged in.

Consp
Posted via Mobile Device

Consp 08-05-2013 03:46 PM

Spoke to soon. Still having the same issue. I would like to hear if anyone else is experiencing this and if you have found a solution.

I emailed Hagen and will see what they say.

Thanks,

Consp

WiseOne 10-12-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Consp (Post 2729217)
Spoke to soon. Still having the same issue. I would like to hear if anyone else is experiencing this and if you have found a solution.

I emailed Hagen and will see what they say.

Thanks,

Consp

Did you find a solution from Hagen? I am seeing the same issue. Looks like it may be due to low flow. I am noticing water is not able to pass through the filter due to lack of suction so the water level in the middle chamber start to fall down, but there is a small hole on the opposite side of the filter at a lower level were the water flows in thus water level maintain at that level as it’s a smaller hole. For testing I swapped the pump with a higher flow rating ( Marineland Maxi 900) water level never fell down plus the aquarium was crystal clear. I have contacted Hagen with this issue but not heard back

Consp 10-13-2013 01:46 AM

No, just emailed them again. They reached back out to me a few weeks ago but i did not respond. Interesting that a stronger pump fixes it. Which model did you use?

Is it the 10 watt 247 GPH?

Thanks,

Consp
Posted via Mobile Device

Trout12 10-16-2013 11:33 AM

I am having the same issue. I replaced the filter after only one week and the problem stopped for a few days, but started right back up. I wonder if it has to do with the filter getting dirty?

If anyone hears anything please share!

Trout12 10-17-2013 05:15 PM

I spoke to a sales associate at an aquarium store about the Fluval Accent and he says that if the screen filter gets plugged up and this is when the problems persist. I took my screen filter out and have been running it with out since it has the normal filter built in, and problem seems to be solved.

My guess is Fluval needs to redesign the filters screens as they get plugged up way to easy. Can still use them to filter for a few days but once sound starts its wash the screen filter or replace.

Consp 10-17-2013 10:58 PM

Hi, can you elaborate on exactly what you did? Did you remove the filter that slides in next to the heater? And you mention a built in filter, where is this located? Thanks, spoke with Fluval again today and they are waiting for a response from their development team in Canada.
Posted via Mobile Device