Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Power of hood light. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/power-hood-light-23546/)

watts300 04-30-2009 08:29 AM

Power of hood light.

This is driving me nuts.

I'm trying to figure out the wattage of the bulb in my Perfecto hood.

It's on my 20L but it also fits a 29.
I'm pretty sure it's this one. Click.

I want to know so I can figure out a baseline so I can upgrade my lighting to help my plants. I want to get a new fixture but I don't want to end up with something that's the same intensity.
It doesn't say on the box or have any writing on the bulb itself. And it's proving hard to find information on the web.

Does any one have any knowledge of this product?

Mikaila31 04-30-2009 08:46 AM

Well T8 fluorescents come in standard sizes if the bulb is 18" it is a 15 watt, 24" it is a 17 watt. I'm guessing it will be the latter.

watts300 04-30-2009 09:44 AM

I measured it last week, and I believe its 23". I have misplaced my tape measure, though. But I'm confident with that.

That's almost 1 watt per gallon. Is there a specific figure (a "standard") that describes high lighting? I know I don't have it whatever it is though.

Is my guestimage right:
Less than 1W = low. 1-1.5 = Moderate. 1.5-2 = High.

Byron 04-30-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watts300 (Post 191580)
I measured it last week, and I believe its 23". I have misplaced my tape measure, though. But I'm confident with that.

That's almost 1 watt per gallon. Is there a specific figure (a "standard") that describes high lighting? I know I don't have it whatever it is though.

Is my guestimage right:
Less than 1W = low. 1-1.5 = Moderate. 1.5-2 = High.

The only criteria for how much light you need is, what plants are you growing and is there CO2 addition? If no CO2 then 1-2 watts of full spectrum light will perfectly balance CO2 and nutrients in a normal aquarium, and rooted plants like swords, annubia, crypts, sagitaria, will grow well [see my tank photos for proof]. If you have CO2 addition, you will require 3-4 watts of full spectrum light to balance, and increased nutrients (significantly) and the afore-mentioned plants will grow faster and stem plants will grow nicely.

watts300 04-30-2009 11:18 AM

No no. No CO2 for me. And I certainly don't want the cost of 3-4W. Holy molly that would be expensive.
The plants I have are listed on my signature.

I have a small table lamp sitting next to my aquarium that I turn on/off with the hood light. The plants seem to like it a lot as the leaves are angled towards it. But there's an obvious line where the lamp shade takes effect. Even algae stops growing above it. I would imagine it's stifling the growth of the plants by trying to stay in the light.

I thought the the lighting ranges were more incremental than integers. In that case I guess I would like to get between 30-40 watts. But I'm cheap and I don't want to spend, nor CAN I spend, more than $70-80 (tops). Is that even possible?
I like the construction style of this kind of light fixture. I like the corner-legs that will hold it up. I know this one won't work.. just an example.

MBilyeu 04-30-2009 11:44 AM

My suggestion would be to get a trichromatic bulb and see if your plants do fine with just that one light. BTW your bulb is considered a 24" even though it doesn't measure the full 24". All bulbs are like that.