Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Dwarf Pleco INSIDE PENGUIN FILTER (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/dwarf-pleco-inside-penguin-filter-23538/)

Hogan 04-30-2009 12:24 AM

Dwarf Pleco INSIDE PENGUIN FILTER

Wow I am amazed and just had to post this for the world (or FishForum world) to see....

Past couple days haven't seen my dwarf bristlenose anywhere - tank walls are starting to get dirty - where is he? I assume he is just hiding somewhere.

Finally tonight I really begin looking for him - pulling up rock and driftwood. Not there! Now I am scared. Did I somehow crush him last time I put down a rock or something?

Then I decide to turn off the Penguin 200 filter and shine a flashlight inside. Bugger is sitting in there with some algae just looking up at me. I try to net him out and he won't. Finally I just pick up the filter (after taking off biowheel etc) and dump it in the tank, and out comes Pleco-boy. Now he is swimming around like usual sucking those walls.

Anyway, I was just amazed that he obviously climbed up the outflow chute, UNDERNEATH the spinning biowheel, and plopped into the pool of water between the filter cartridge and the biowheel. And he's been probably hanging there for 2-3 days....

Anyone else have this or something else amazing happen? I have a newfound respect for that little guy - he is one mobile dude!

Twistersmom 04-30-2009 08:41 AM

I knew when I got my eel that they are escape artist. I put him in the tank anyway thinking I would seal the tank better the next day.
Well, he found his way into the filter the first night, this is an Emperor 400.
I went to the craft store the next day to buy some net type material and wrapped it around the filter to keep him out. When he grew a little, I was able to remove the netting.

aunt kymmie 04-30-2009 10:38 AM

When I was 18 I purchased a tire track eel for my tank. I didn't know that eels were escape artists when I got mine. One day I came home to find my cat toying w/ something on the carpet. Upon closer inspection I saw that it was my eel. He was covered in carpet fibers but I thought he might still be alive as he was still damp. I picked him up and put him back in the tank, then I walked into the kitchen to get a baggie to dispose of him. When I walked back over to the tank he was already digging himself into his favorite corner in the tank. I had no idea they were such tough little buggers. Needless to say, I got the tank covered that day.

I'm glad you found your pleco! It sounds as if he's watched "Finding Nemo" too many times!

Byron 04-30-2009 11:15 AM

Plecos and indeed any of the roaming catfish are prone to go anywhere there is water in search of food. Plecos (some species) come from fast-flowing streams and it is their natural behaviour to swim upstream against a current. Tanks housing such fish should probably have a canister type of filter where there is no "waterfall" or filter intake possibility.

I use surface skimmers on my tanks, and one of my Aspidoras went exploring in the surface intake which is very small, but in he went and then couldn't back out (fish can't swim backwards) so I had to take the thing apart and push him out backwards (he couldn't make it the front way because the tube narrowed too much). I suspect loaches would be a similar risk.

1077 04-30-2009 12:18 PM

Once had some otocinclus that dissapeared in the exact manner. While servicing the filter a couple weeks later, I turned the filter box (Emperor400) upside down in a tub of the water I had just removed and found a bunch of little babies so small that you could hardly see em. I gently placed them back in the aquarium but suspect the dwarf cichlids ate them for I never saw them after that.

MBilyeu 04-30-2009 12:40 PM

I just had a convict in my QT and 3 mornings in a row, I found her in the media compartment of the AC20. I lowered the water level til it was only 3/4 full to finally stop her from doing that.

iamntbatman 05-01-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 191606)
Once had some otocinclus that dissapeared in the exact manner. While servicing the filter a couple weeks later, I turned the filter box (Emperor400) upside down in a tub of the water I had just removed and found a bunch of little babies so small that you could hardly see em. I gently placed them back in the aquarium but suspect the dwarf cichlids ate them for I never saw them after that.

Wait....your otos bred *inside* your filter?

:shock:

1077 05-02-2009 01:32 PM

That's where I found them. In an effort to help the plants I had and without the benefit of Co2 injection, I had the return from the Emperor filter about two inches below the water line.they apparently swam up and into the filter in this way. Also had Farlowella that did this regularly.