Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   I'm lost (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/im-lost-234721/)

Vpaw 07-26-2013 11:30 PM

I'm lost
 
Ok I have my 20 gallon planted, with fish. I have an HOB filter, and I fill up the water enough so that it doesn't disturb the surface. These are all things I learned from the forum so far btw.. I stopped using the carbon filter cartridges and have padded nice things in there instead (not sure how or if to change them...?) I stopped adding salt. I took out the air stone. I have micro and macro nutrients that I add once a week, but might stop doing that. I bought a plant light, zoomed flora sun.i have black titanium moon sand.

I have african dwarf frogs though, so I have read that they do bad with co2 boosters and fertilizer? I don't currently have any fertilizer. I do have a co2 booster that I add every other day, but since it's bad for the frogs, what else should I do instead?

I don't know the names of the plants.. But here's a picture of my tank...

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/...9/null-316.jpg


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Romad 07-27-2013 06:39 AM

Nice looking tank :thumbsup:

It's really about finding your balance. Light duration, nutrients etc. Do you have your lights on a timer? 8-10 hours a day of light should be sufficient for those type plants and then complete darkness at night.

A good plant fert. is Seachem Flourish Comprehensive once or twice a week. I never use CO2 products or boosters unless I have black hair algae present.

For the sword, you can buy Seachem root tabs and bury one under the sand near the sword. Those are good for 3 months or so.

As for your filter pads, only rinse them out in tank water when you do water changes. If they start to fall apart, only replace half at a time so you don't lose the beneficial bacteria housed in the pads.

Vpaw 08-24-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 2653041)
Nice looking tank :thumbsup:

It's really about finding your balance. Light duration, nutrients etc. Do you have your lights on a timer? 8-10 hours a day of light should be sufficient for those type plants and then complete darkness at night.

A good plant fert. is Seachem Flourish Comprehensive once or twice a week. I never use CO2 products or boosters unless I have black hair algae present.

For the sword, you can buy Seachem root tabs and bury one under the sand near the sword. Those are good for 3 months or so.

As for your filter pads, only rinse them out in tank water when you do water changes. If they start to fall apart, only replace half at a time so you don't lose the beneficial bacteria housed in the pads.

Ok, I forgot to answer... :p

I do have my lights on a timer. 12 hours a day it's on and off :)

Don't they need co2 though?

And I think that African dwarf frogs are sensitive to fertilizer, so is there something g that won't harm them?


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

SeaHorse 08-24-2013 10:17 AM

Hi no lots of plants/tanks do not need co2. Take a look at my aquarium tab on the left under my name <----- , my 75 is fully planted... NO co2. And it would be double that if I actually fertilized regularly too. Not sure why! lol

The water return on your HOB SHOULD break the surface. Keep an eye for fish breathing at the surface, gulping air, or... a film on the surface. If you get either of these then drop the water level just a tad so that it breaks the surface tension. It's kinda like seeing stagnant water with a film... all you need is to break the surface tension with an airstone and pump or the filter return.

Vpaw 08-24-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 2872113)
Hi no lots of plants/tanks do not need co2. Take a look at my aquarium tab on the left under my name <----- , my 75 is fully planted... NO co2. And it would be double that if I actually fertilized regularly too. Not sure why! lol

The water return on your HOB SHOULD break the surface. Keep an eye for fish breathing at the surface, gulping air, or... a film on the surface. If you get either of these then drop the water level just a tad so that it breaks the surface tension. It's kinda like seeing stagnant water with a film... all you need is to break the surface tension with an airstone and pump or the filter return.

So, I was once again mislead by the pet store saying they won't survive without the co2 *sigh*


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Boredomb 08-24-2013 10:31 AM

Plants do need Co2 its a nutrient they have to have to grow. In a NPT there will be a small amount of it from the breaking down of debris by the bacteria and fish will provide some as well. This is usually the number one limiting factor for plant in natural plant tanks or low tech tanks. Which is why we choice certain plants that can deal with the lower amounts. Stems on the other hand (not all) usually do best with the additional dosing of Co2 as lots of them need brighter lights and more nutrients to grow properly. So the store didn't necessarily mislead ya. They just didn't tell ya all the info.

SeaHorse 08-24-2013 10:37 AM

LOL... that's ok!! There really is a balance to it tho. I've been overstocked... which means my fish are producing poop... therefore producing Ammonia. Plants take up harmful Ammonia in their processes so it has worked. I am Lazy!! I don't fert but when I DO!!!.. I will see a new leaf within 2 days.
Your lights have to be the right bulbs too(!!), I can't advise on that part other than I went to the LFS and said give me a 4 foot bulb for plants. You should be disciplined about the amount of time they are on, so get a timer if you can. You can set them to come on at noon and off at 10pm if you want to watch your tank at night... just on and off like normal day/night. The fish need that too. Circadian rhythm. Even the fish need darkness to sleep at night.
If you begin to get overrun with green algae then cut back the lighting by an hour to see if it settles down. Your clean up crew, snails, otos, BNPleco will take care of that.

Boredomb 08-24-2013 10:41 AM

Also think you would be alright to add seachems flourish comprehensive. It has most nutrients plants need and works good. Its already diluted and gets diluted even more when you put it into the tank. So I think the ADF will be okay. Dry fertilizer on the other hand may or may not be. If you pre mix the micro and macro ferts in a water bottle (not the same bottle thinking thats not a good idea) it will probably be OK as well. But not sure on this as I have never had ADF.

Vpaw 08-24-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 2872217)
LOL... that's ok!! There really is a balance to it tho. I've been overstocked... which means my fish are producing poop... therefore producing Ammonia. Plants take up harmful Ammonia in their processes so it has worked. I am Lazy!! I don't fert but when I DO!!!.. I will see a new leaf within 2 days.
Your lights have to be the right bulbs too(!!), I can't advise on that part other than I went to the LFS and said give me a 4 foot bulb for plants. You should be disciplined about the amount of time they are on, so get a timer if you can. You can set them to come on at noon and off at 10pm if you want to watch your tank at night... just on and off like normal day/night. The fish need that too. Circadian rhythm. Even the fish need darkness to sleep at night.
If you begin to get overrun with green algae then cut back the lighting by an hour to see if it settles down. Your clean up crew, snails, otos, BNPleco will take care of that.

Ok ok, I HAVE a timer :) which is what I tried saying earlier :p and I do have the special bulb. And my Otto and mystery snail do a great job. My Cory cats do good for the sand.

Then which fertilizer is needed that won't harm the frogs? (I have a BN pleco in another tank without plants.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Vpaw 08-24-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 2872257)
Also think you would be alright to add seachems flourish comprehensive. It has most nutrients plants need and works good. Its already diluted and gets diluted even more when you put it into the tank. So I think the ADF will be okay. Dry fertilizer on the other hand may or may not be. If you pre mix the micro and macro ferts in a water bottle (not the same bottle thinking thats not a good idea) it will probably be OK as well. But not sure on this as I have never had ADF.

So I've heard seachem quite a few times.. Ill try that.. I have the Aqueon plant food thing that I put in once a week


Sent from Petguide.com Free App


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2