Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Have fish shipped or pick up? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/have-fish-shipped-pick-up-23423/)

Katydid 04-25-2009 08:21 PM

Have fish shipped or pick up?

My tank is getting to be cycled and I am planning on adding the fish in a few weeks.

I want an all native tank and collecting them in the wild is easy, but finding them for sale not so much. Having had a few scary encounters with snakes, I've decided to just get them from a captive breeder.
(We are talking mostly minnows here not something exotic or endangered in any way.)

The breeder I've found is about 2 to 2.5hours from where I live. I've wanted to go up there as its alot a very pretty place with a ton of historic thingys. I was thinking to save on shipping and shipping malfunctions that I could just pick up the fish.

Would it be safer to have them shipped or to just pick them up in a cooler and take them home with me?

thanks for advice in advance.

1077 04-26-2009 01:49 AM

Would be great to go to the breeders facility. That way you could possibly choose the fish that you want and avoid the sometimes mix-ups on delivery times. Reputable breeder will pack the fish for your trip home with them.

Mikaila31 04-26-2009 01:07 PM

Be careful about collecting wild fish. IDK what state you are in, but make sure DNR laws allow you to collect fish for tanks. The only place I know about collecting is Minnesota, the local aquarium society puts together trips for going to collect natives. They are give a permit from the DNR, and they have to report back what was caught and what was kept. Most of the stuff they aim for are non sport fish, darters and minnows. I do know if you collect sport fish, and sport fish you have in your tanks does count towards your legal limit.

catfishtabbi 04-26-2009 07:38 PM

Lucky you!!! sounds like a great trip to me . I.m looking for a nursery to view in s florida. But if you can't do it minnos/danios ship perfect but shippers tend to send really small specimens as to help keep ammoia levels lower .

Katydid 04-26-2009 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 190565)
Be careful about collecting wild fish. IDK what state you are in, but make sure DNR laws allow you to collect fish for tanks. The only place I know about collecting is Minnesota, the local aquarium society puts together trips for going to collect natives. They are give a permit from the DNR, and they have to report back what was caught and what was kept. Most of the stuff they aim for are non sport fish, darters and minnows. I do know if you collect sport fish, and sport fish you have in your tanks does count towards your legal limit.

As I said in my post,

"Having had a few scary encounters with snakes, I've decided to just get them from a captive breeder.
(We are talking mostly minnows here not something exotic or endangered in any way.)"

I highly doubt that I'll get into any trouble for buying some fish from a breeder.
but its good information for someone who may be considering collecting. A great web site for those thinkig about collecting www.nanfa.org