Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   help! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/help-2342/)

lioness501 01-09-2007 03:58 AM

help!

hi im new to this site and i think i have a poorly molly, i hope someone can help. i have had her for 4 weeks, she is a black balloon molly, since i have had her she has had 10 fry. since then she has gone shiny?? and she has a long trailing white substance instead of poo? can anyone help i dont want my other fish to get ill, thanks, alex

Lupin 01-09-2007 04:07 AM

Hi and welcome aboard, Alex.:wave:

What are your water parameters? Is the whitish poo stringy? If so, it could be a sign of the presence of intestinal parasites. Treat it with Metronidazole.
Balloon mollies unfortunately are so deformed that I keep advising other people not to buy them.

lioness501 01-09-2007 04:11 AM

thanks for your reply and hi! i do not have the means to test my water right now but i take a sample to my local aquatic store every other week and they say its always pretty perfect. the poo is stringy yes. she is the second black 1 i have had, the first 1 died so i replaced her, now the same is happening. my other females are white and a dalmation, they r fine?? tho is it common for mollies to sit at the top of the water for a while? they dont always do it but for a while each day?

willow 01-09-2007 04:11 AM

hi welcome aboard matey.
sorry you're having problems,
don't forget that if you do medicate your tank,
take out any carbon in your filter if you have any.

do they gasp at the top of the tank at all.?

lioness501 01-09-2007 04:13 AM

hi, ive heard about taking the caron out. is that the blue sponge within the filter yeah???

willow 01-09-2007 04:15 AM

hi
no the carbon will be small black coal looking stuff,
don't wash your sponges out with anything but tank water,
as that will kill the bacteria,
sorry if you already know that.

Lupin 01-09-2007 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lioness501
thanks for your reply and hi! i do not have the means to test my water right now but i take a sample to my local aquatic store every other week and they say its always pretty perfect.

There's no such thing as perfect in the case of water parameters unfortunately.:shake: Try to let your lfs write down the exact figures.:) Make sure they are using a reliable liquid test kit and should not be expired.
They were trying to convince you everything is alright when the actual result was that something is wrong but is unknown to you because they repeatedly assure you 'everything is alright'.:shake:

Quote:

the poo is stringy yes. she is the second black 1 i have had, the first 1 died so i replaced her, now the same is happening.
Treat your fish accordingly. Try to do a partial water change of 10% and treat the whole tank with Metronidazole. There is a possibility the rest of your fish were infected as well.

Good luck and let us know how everything is doing.:)

lioness501 01-09-2007 04:17 AM

where will the coal stuff be? in the top of the filter? sorry if i sound thick!! lol i always wash sponges in tank water thanks tho! :)

lioness501 01-09-2007 04:18 AM

wat would u recommend i buy to test the water myself?? i have seen lots of testing kits is there any that test all of water?? i have seen them all seperate i.e 1 for ammonia, 1 for nitrate etc etc

Lupin 01-09-2007 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lioness501
where will the coal stuff be? in the top of the filter? sorry if i sound thick!! lol i always wash sponges in tank water thanks tho! :)

That's carbon. Remove it as it can remove any medicine dosed in your tank rendering the treatment ineffective.
Quote:

wat would u recommend i buy to test the water myself?? i have seen lots of testing kits is there any that test all of water?? i have seen them all seperate i.e 1 for ammonia, 1 for nitrate etc etc
API Master test kit.:)