Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   What do you do to the tank when a fish dies? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/what-do-you-do-tank-when-234178/)

jaysee 07-26-2013 08:37 AM

What do you do to the tank when a fish dies?

Say you wake up and find a fish has died in your community tank.....what do you do?

Austin 07-26-2013 08:59 AM

I feel like this is a trick question..? :P it seems too simple.

jaysee 07-26-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin (Post 2644938)
I feel like this is a trick question..? :P it seems too simple.

I know it does..... but it's no trick :-)

I just visually inspect the tank and move on. breaking the tank down and starting over just because a fish died seems like a MONUMENTAL waste of time and energy, not to mention the fact that it puts all the other fish at risk. But perhaps such practices are more common than I had thought.

Romad 07-26-2013 09:14 AM

It depends on why it died.

jaysee 07-26-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 2645042)
It depends on why it died.

You don't know - you wake up and a fish is floating with no apparent signs of disease.

I think it's pretty rare that we know why a fish died. Unless there are obvious markers, there's just no way to know.

Agent13 07-26-2013 09:55 AM

This does seem way too simple:hmm:. If I knew the fish was alive and well (from what I could tell the day before) toss it then make sure that's the only dead one and everyone else is acting normal. Then off to work lol.
Or..if it's my african tank- look for bite marks and look for the guiltiest looking fish give angry stare then go to work.

Romad 07-26-2013 09:57 AM

Unless it was some obvious and hideous disease (rare I know), I just carry on.

I would be a bit more observant with the rest of the tank for a while as a precaution but that's about it.

Agent13 07-26-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 2645002)

breaking the tank down and starting over just because a fish died seems like a MONUMENTAL waste of time and energy, not to mention the fact that it puts all the other fish at risk. But perhaps such practices are more common than I had thought.

oops.. missed that part... Who the heck does that???

jentralala 07-26-2013 12:37 PM

I inspect the body and exam the rest of the fish in the tank, to make sure none of the others are acting/look off. Then test parameters and then do a 50-75% water change just to be safe.

rexpepper651 07-26-2013 12:44 PM

i pick the fish out while eating a slice of pie and watch my other fish to make sure they arent all hopped up on drugs like their buddy was.