Tropical Fish Keeping banner

algae colors?

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  princesuhaib 
#1 ·
Hey I have noticed I have a few colors of algae in my tank on my rocks, a lot is purple and I notice that I am beginning to see yellow color, I am not sure if its algae it looks like fur, its not super heavy but just one one of the live rocks, also I noticed a blue in color fur size of a pea? I am curious what all this could be? or is this any problems? let me know what you guys think.. thank you

#2 ·
As your live rock matures you will see various color changes and algaes grow. Eventually these will all be replaced by a nice growth of coraline algae. I find that maintaining the correct calcium and alkalinity levels from day one is beneficial to encouraging the onset of coraline. I dose calcium even prior to livestock... although not as much is needed, obviously.

#4 ·
LOL, yes I guess I did know that. You can't imagine how many people send private messages every day about their tank. Sorry, it is hard to keep up with the details.

I never really gave it much thought as to the exact types of other algae that show up on the rock. I can't even recall this discussion before. OF2F.... thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.