Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Plants with see-through leaves! HELP! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/plants-see-through-leaves-help-23393/)

Freddiesbuns 04-24-2009 04:09 PM

Plants with see-through leaves! HELP!

What am I doing wrong here? I have a fairly well-planted 33 gal with Anubias, Pennywort, Hygrophylas Siamensis, Ulvaceus, Straight Vallisneria and some cryps. Lately Some of them have started growing translucent leaves, mostly pennywort and the hygrophylas. Also the Vallisneria is losing its leaves in masses. I don't have co2 (I'm in the process of making a DIY co2 kit) I put fertilizer in the tank once a week. Also, for the last 2 or 3 weeks I have been leaving the light on 24/7 while my fishes were in a quarantine tank. Can someone helps me?

Fishin Pole 04-24-2009 05:03 PM

you need to turn your lights off at least 10 hours in a 24 hour period.........Just on a side note......Why did you quarantine your fish?......This might be some of the issues with your plants..........What are you using as a plant fertilizer?........This info might help members here to diagnose your plant problems.....

Freddiesbuns 04-24-2009 06:49 PM

I played in the substrate too soon after the cycling was done and threw the cycle out of whack, so I put the fishes in another tank so I could let this one re-do it's cycling. The fishes have been back in the tank for 2 days now so I turn the lights off at night now!

I use Flourish as a liquid fertilizer, plus fertilizer sticks.

Twistersmom 04-24-2009 09:47 PM

Fishen Pole is correct.
Plant collect nutrient durring the day, then this stored energy is released at night and turns into growth. So they need lights out to grow. Maybe now, they will start to do better for you.

Freddiesbuns 04-24-2009 10:27 PM

well D'OH! hopefully they'll recover now

Kim 04-29-2009 09:20 PM

Also if you have ammonia in the tank it could be affecting them. I had a mini cycle in my 29 gal. and my myrio green especially didn't like the slight ammonia in the water.

ambria 04-30-2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddiesbuns (Post 190235)
What am I doing wrong here? I have a fairly well-planted 33 gal with Anubias, Pennywort, Hygrophylas Siamensis, Ulvaceus, Straight Vallisneria and some cryps. Lately Some of them have started growing translucent leaves, mostly pennywort and the hygrophylas. Also the Vallisneria is losing its leaves in masses. I don't have co2 (I'm in the process of making a DIY co2 kit) I put fertilizer in the tank once a week. Also, for the last 2 or 3 weeks I have been leaving the light on 24/7 while my fishes were in a quarantine tank. Can someone helps me?

Also, what I have ran across is a lot of plants do not like my hard water.