Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New fish owner (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-fish-owner-233402/)

LiamB 07-25-2013 02:11 AM

New fish owner

Hello, I recently purchased a 1.5 gallon neon tetra tank and three neon tetras. Shortly after my purchase as I was researching how to take care of my fish I realized my tank was much too small for my fish to live happily. I am going to purchase a 20 gallon and introduce at least 3 more neon tetras and maybe two dwarf guorami would that be too much for a tank of that size? Also if that is proper stocking could a pleco or chinese algae eater be added?

JDM 07-25-2013 07:03 AM

Research after purchase seems to be a common thing... and. Not just in fish. Good for stepping up and changing what needs to be changed though.

The pleco will just get too big for the tank and the algae eaters I hear are aggressive and cause problems. You might do better with oto catfish or a whiptail or three. I know nothing about gourami.

What are your water parameters like?

Consider a couple of nerite snails. They don't get huge and don't reproduce.

Jeff.

spreadtoothinly 07-27-2013 07:21 PM

If you're going with snails another popular one is the mystery snail, they get about 2 in. in diameter(if I'm remembering correctly) and need a male and female to reproduce.

Tracy Bird 07-28-2013 09:31 AM

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Excellent fish keeping recognizing the need to upgrade the tank size...

I would try to get the neon group to 8-9, six is minimum.

If you decide on Dwarf Gourami's I'd do one, not two. They are hit and miss in terms of aggression, sometimes they can be aggressive. I would not let this "potential" stop you from stocking the fish, just keep in eye on the situation and confirm with the seller that if problems arise you can return the fish - most often chain stores will allow you to return incompatible fish.

Tank size would be fine with the Neon's and Gourami.

I concur with JDM on the plec and CAE.

Romad 07-28-2013 12:36 PM

Def. a no-no with the pleco. They are notorious poopers and will get way to large for the tank.

Kudos to you for doing your research :thumbsup:

LiamB 07-30-2013 12:37 AM

Well my girlfriend broke the 20 gallon tank they were going to give me... So the next day I bought a 45 gallon on Craigslist with a stand, gravel, filter for $75. I ended up buying new gravel because I had a hard time removing all of the bleach from the gravel sold to me after I cleaned it. Also I bought a new filter as the one he gave me wasn't ideal for this size tank. But I am beginning to cycle the tank now with my 3 glofish tetra( the label at local pet store said neon tetra no surprise they didn't seem to know much). But I was wondering if I should purchase 3-5 more to make it a school before I finish cycling the tank or should I wait? And I know fishless cycling is the more efficient way but in my case I would of had to keep them in a 1.5 gallon that wasnt properly cycled so I chose to add them to this tank.

Sanguinefox 07-30-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiamB (Post 2676785)
Well my girlfriend broke the 20 gallon tank they were going to give me... So the next day I bought a 45 gallon on Craigslist with a stand, gravel, filter for $75. I ended up buying new gravel because I had a hard time removing all of the bleach from the gravel sold to me after I cleaned it. Also I bought a new filter as the one he gave me wasn't ideal for this size tank. But I am beginning to cycle the tank now with my 3 glofish tetra( the label at local pet store said neon tetra no surprise they didn't seem to know much). But I was wondering if I should purchase 3-5 more to make it a school before I finish cycling the tank or should I wait? And I know fishless cycling is the more efficient way but in my case I would of had to keep them in a 1.5 gallon that wasnt properly cycled so I chose to add them to this tank.

I really wish pet stores would stop selling glow tetra as "Cycling fish". They are terrible at it, are sickness prone and spaz in small tanks (yes your tank is too small for they hyper fish) and in such small groups they become neurotic.

When you do an in fish cycle you want just enough to keep it going but not enough to overload the system. What you will want to do is not add any more fish to the 45. Go out and get some live plants such as Water Sprite, Water Wisteria, Riccia, Java Moss, or assorted floaters. Find a few, and put them in the tank, they are not picky about light. This will help your fish ride out the cycle and do wonders to promote a healthy cycle.

Also what are the dimensions of your tank? When the cycle is finished...and if you absolutely must have a pleco your tank may be able to accommodate a single Bristlenose.

These guys don't get as big as many of the other species.

Tracy Bird 07-30-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanguinefox (Post 2679986)
Go out and get some live plants such as Water Sprite, Water Wisteria, Riccia, Java Moss, or assorted floaters. Find a few, and put them in the tank, they are not picky about light. This will help your fish ride out the cycle and do wonders to promote a healthy cycle.

This is some good advice.....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

LiamB 07-30-2013 05:39 PM

Well I tested the water today and didn't have any nitrites, ammonia, nitrates but my Ph was far too high should i buy something to lower it or will the cycle do that? And yes I wanted live plants I didn't know if I should wait for the cycle to be over so thank you very much for that info. Any other advice on fish I should get when my cycle is complete? The dimensions are weird its a taller tank which I know isn't recommended but the owner didn't have the dimensions on craigslist so I sort of bought it blindly.

LiamB 07-30-2013 06:02 PM

Ah it's 24" long 24" tall and 18" wide