Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   So mad at myself... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/so-mad-myself-23282/)

Sj45 04-20-2009 08:49 PM

So mad at myself...

Randomly checking the tank, I saw my swordtail squirt out one of her small babies and quickly eat it. She was in my 55 gallon and there were no plants and two big power filters. She is very trusting and in a matter of seconds I scooped her up although I know I was not told to do this, and quickly threw her into my 10 gallon (sponge filter) later to realize the temp was 2.5F below my other tank :(((.

What is the chance she will still have some babies? :(
Will she be alright?

I turned the lights off, and the heat up :/

Sj45 04-20-2009 09:04 PM

She's having more! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy so fun to see fry live...my problem!

I have floating plants and the fry are not going to the top...? what to do...the bottom is just a bottom glass?

Sj45 04-20-2009 09:42 PM

after having no luck w/ just leaving her in the 10g, i really wanted to keep some and decided to try my breeders net :/ hope I can keep 5-10...

mollies 04-20-2009 10:00 PM

let her have them and take them out right away and put them in the net and u will save sum that way. my mollies were doing the same thing. They had 30 sum and i was only able to save 6 of them.

Sj45 04-20-2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollies (Post 189472)
let her have them and take them out right away and put them in the net and u will save sum that way. my mollies were doing the same thing. They had 30 sum and i was only able to save 6 of them.

thank you for responding, won't that stress the mom though...me going through a 10g trying to get a baby out?

1077 04-21-2009 06:21 AM

Better in my view,, to leave the adult alone while birthing is happening. We must prepare ahead of time for babies when keeping livebearers for though it is sometimes easy to tell when they are pregnant ,it is difficult to know at what point they will drop their young. Providing ample places for babies to hide in the tank increases the survival rate of the babies. Artificial plants or wood and rock along the bottom gives the young ,places to hide until the mother is done birthing and you can collect them.Placing the cover along the bottom increases their survival rate as well, for many that hover near the surface become easy snacks for adult fish.

adiumroot 04-21-2009 01:02 PM

I went to a garden center today and I saw some platies in a pre-formed cement pond where they kept the floating water plants they were selling. I took a closer look and noticed that there were lots of fry hiding amongst the plants. In fact, the cement container was quite small and had no filtration so I was surprised platies were breeding there.

So I guess plants are going to do the trick. And I think it's impossible to save all of them. The reason why some animals give birth to many offspring at a time is because there's a low individual chance of surviving into adulthood. It's natural selection at work, I guess.

Sj45 04-21-2009 01:22 PM

I didn't do well...and well try better next time, marbles will be placed on the bottom and plants on the top unless I am there when she begins to give birth and I will probably use a breeders net.

Thanks guys, I was able to save 3 out of approx. 30 or so :/ feel sorry for them...10% survival rate just from the mom.

mollies 04-21-2009 10:31 PM

A breeder net is way to small to put your fish in. I would just put the fry in there. Better luck next time. I would get lots of plants set up at the bootom of ur tank, at one end of it and tightly together so babys could go in them. Then a floater plant for the ones that like to go to the top of your tank. Your mama is going to be haveing more in a month or 2 be sure of it. so i would that before she dose. Then you can fish the fry out later and put them into the breeder net and be able to save some. I ended up have164 fry mollies out of 6 females. I just pulled them out of my 55 today. They were hiding in the plants at the bottom of the tank. So it dose help. After 2 or 3 weeks they will be big enough to put back in the tank. Unless u have fish with big mouths like i do. lol I sale my fry to the lfs. Get $2 each. Good luck and hope that will help!!!!!!!!!

mollies 04-21-2009 10:39 PM

wont that stress the mom tho.
It didnt bother 2 of mine but other 4 yes. I wouldnt recomend it unless it was happening lik you had explaned but yes it could.