Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   It all started with these white worm things (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/all-started-these-white-worm-things-23261/)

Convict89 04-20-2009 04:57 AM

It all started with these white worm things

New to this forum:

Ok this will sorta be long, but I think that I should start at the beginning.

It all started when I was seeing if my female "zebra" convict and her mate, a pink convict, had layed any eggs yet. When I saw that they had I was like really happy and stuff, but then I saw these white worm looking things on the glass...I know this may sound really...dumb, but what first came to mind was, "omg is that Edward's sperm(the male...obviously) but like a second later I realized that it couldn't be and began to look it up.

I think now that it's planeria and now know that it was because after I moved their batch into another tank before I found dead baby fish bodies...and I think that, that is where it came from. Now I paniced and started removing rocks from the aquarium so that I could clean the gravel on one side of the tank away from the babies...but this 5-6 inch chinese sucker fish freaked(understandably) and went straight to my pair's bell and the eggs got all flun around.:cry: :cry:

I regret what I did greatly and even though it was my fault I've removed the sucker from the tank to a different one. I also took out the male and two other lil baby convicts and put them into a bucket, and then waited for the water to settle. I left the mother in there and right away she started gathering her eggs up and putting them back into the bell. as she was doing this I sifted and cleaned the gravel on the opposite side and wiped off as many of those things that I could. The pair have retrieved an easy 75% of their eggs and they are safely inside the bell

Now my question is will the remaining eggs after they hatch eat them or are those white things harmful to the future baby fish?

Convict89 04-20-2009 06:59 AM

Well I'll now know within 72 hours cuz they've started to hatch...I hope they'll be fine cuz the mom and dad or working really hard and moving around quite a bit now, cleaning and such

Twistersmom 04-20-2009 08:07 AM

Hello & welcome to the forum.
I have no experience with planeria, so just wanted to wish you the best of luck with the fry.

1077 04-20-2009 08:09 AM

Convicts are quite capable of caring for their young without any human intervention. The worms you described could have been planaria which are harmless to the fish. In fact many fish would consider them snacks. Maintain your water quality through regular water changes and not overfeeding and the convicts will do the rest.

Convict89 04-20-2009 06:16 PM

I know they can care for their young on their own, but I was just worried about how they would have fared against these little worms that I now know can't harm them. Thank you for the info, all of you!d ^_^

iamntbatman 04-22-2009 07:27 PM

Hmm...actually, planaria could be a useful food source for growing baby cichlids.

Fishin Pole 04-22-2009 08:33 PM

like batman said, if the planaria comes back leave it be, good food source for the fry......keep a close eye on the parents attacking the other smaller convicts......With fry in the tank, they could view the other smaller convicts as a threat

Convict89 04-25-2009 02:28 AM

Well I put my Chinese sucker fish back in the tank and as long as he's there my two "tot" convicts will be okay, cuz the mom and dad don't go like it when he comes out....plus I rearranged my tank so that the two lil guys have places to hide and areas to escape to and stuff

Convict89 04-25-2009 02:31 AM

Oh yeah and the planeria most likely will not come back bcuz I scooped out most of the gravel and thouroughly(probably misspelled) washed it. I did not disturb their...uhh house area