Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Mollies and Platties are hardcore!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/mollies-platties-hardcore-23235/)

JokerBoyX 04-19-2009 02:40 PM

Mollies and Platties are hardcore!!!

So Ive had these mollies and platties (3 each) in my tank since day 1 of the cycle process when ammonia reached like 7.0 and they haven't slowed down once. Great fish to cycle with in my opinion. Next will be my clown loaches however I need my nitrates to lower a bit more since clowns are drama queens (lol). Tell me/us of your favorite toughies of the freshwaters.

Sj45 04-19-2009 07:21 PM

I'll place $50 on your mollies/platy's not surviving 7.0 ammonia for more than 30 minutes.

Danios are pretty hardy fish in my opinion.

wumpus 04-19-2009 08:13 PM

Danios

Ya I agree I cycled with danios and when I left on vacation my filter got unplugged, when I got back the danios surrvived when my platies didn't

Mikaila31 04-19-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sj45 (Post 189234)
I'll place $50 on your mollies/platy's not surviving 7.0 ammonia for more than 30 minutes.

+ 1

JokerBoyX 04-20-2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sj45 (Post 189234)

Danios are pretty hardy fish in my opinion.

well since your just throwing your money away...

1077 04-20-2009 10:21 AM

[quote=JokerBoyX;189184]So Ive had these mollies and platties (3 each) in my tank since day 1 of the cycle process when ammonia reached like 7.0 and they haven't slowed down once. Great fish to cycle with in my opinion. Next will be my clown loaches however I need my nitrates to lower a bit more since clowns are drama queens (lol). Tell me/us of your favorite toughies of the freshwaters.[/quote

When using live fish to allow a tank to mature or (cycle) there is no need to subject the fish to lethal levels of ammonia and or nitrites. To do this,,you must start with very few and small fish, and monitor the water parameters.AMMONIA levels as low as 0.01 begin to affect the fish in negative way.I too am doubtful that many fish would survive AMMONIA reading of 7 for more than an hour. Gills become burned,the ability of fishes blood to absorb and hold oxygen is affected ,and internal organs begin to shut down.Fish that do survive damage caused by ammonia, rarely have long or healthy life expectancy.

adiumroot 04-20-2009 10:51 AM

Why do you torture the fish so much? D:

It's like using a truck exhaust as your air conditioner. You will survive for a bit but it's very, very, uncomfortable and it'll kill you after some time.