|jmzelaya1226 ||04-19-2009 01:26 PM |
found sponge, put in tank,all fish died
WE had found a sponge on the beach and we had put in into our saltwater fish tank, and the next morning (today) all the fish were dead....anyone have any ideas why?:-(
|onefish2fish ||04-19-2009 01:34 PM |
theres a few reasons. if the sponge was alive when you found it, it was exposed to air when removed from the water. the air gets into their feeding tubes and the sponge then dies due to lack of food. this is possible but i dont think it would have died overnight from that. it could be that it was dying and fouled your water. it could of had some kind of pollutant on it or realeased a chemical of some sort. its best to not take things from the wild unless you truely know what your doing.
welcome to the forum.
|jmzelaya1226 ||04-19-2009 03:45 PM |
i think it may have been dead already because it was on the shore kinda dried up. and another thing as soon as we had put in the sponge our coral had completly closed up. i just hope our anemity makes it because it has shrank and we are hoping it comes back to us.
|onefish2fish ||04-19-2009 09:56 PM |
more on this setup please. exact water params: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temp, SG, alk, mag, ca and any others you have to test for, lights, flow, tank size, stocklist, how long its been setup, depth of sand, skimmer, sump, how often water changes are performed and when you did the last one, and anything and everything else you can include.
|juice28 ||04-24-2009 02:20 AM |
yea you definitely want to give all the vitals for your tank, are you sure it was a sponge and not like a type of sea apple? either way when they die the secret a toxin like a cucumber and it can/will kill everything in your tank, depending on size and load in the tank. I totally agree with 1fish2fish never take it from the wild and if you decide to snag something from the ocean, your taking a huge risk with your tank, definitely no sponges squirts, apples cucumbers/nudibranches etc, all these animals are toxic and when you take them out of the ocean and drop them in your tank you usually "shock" the mess out of them and they cant take it, cucumbers are good for getting stressed and squirting out their toxins in your tank
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM. || |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2