Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   What to do with a Pregnant Swordtail (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/what-do-pregnant-swordtail-23228/)

Sj45 04-19-2009 11:10 AM

What to do with a Pregnant Swordtail

I need your advice on a pregnant swordtail of mine.

Should I;

A) Move her to my cycled 10g
B) Put her in a breeders net
or
C) Leave her in the main tank

I am trying to keep the most fry possible...

Thanks, Sj

Nudist 04-19-2009 11:49 AM

either way you go you need plenty of places for the fry to hide, the mother will eat them as soon as she has them. that said, IMHO with the choices you listed, the best would be "A) Move her to my cycled 10g" as long as there wont be anything else in there and right after she has the fry, move her back into the main tank. all this is just my opinion and i'm sure others will have theirs.

Steve

Sj45 04-19-2009 01:15 PM

Thank you, I seem to think "A" as well would keep the fry the safest but I've heard that it is more likely she could abort her pregnancy by moving her. Is that something I should worry about?

Thanks, Sj

Oldman47 04-19-2009 01:39 PM

If she is at least a few days away from delivering the fry, just go ahead and move her. If she is going to drop the fry any minute it may be a bit late to be chasing her around the tank with a net.

Nudist 04-19-2009 01:52 PM

yep i agree with ghreed, as long as she is not dropping the fry right now she should be ok. try to make it as quick as possible catching her, if you have to chase her for 10 or 15 minutes trying to catch her then she might get to stressed out but as long as you can catch her quick there shouldnt be any problems. whatever you do, good luck with it and i hope you get a bunch of fry that make it.

Steve

Sj45 04-19-2009 02:02 PM

Thank you guys...I doubt she is "just about to drop" but honestly...I'm probably not gonna know when she's 3 days away...any tips on how I could come close to getting it right?

Thanks again guys ;) sj

Nudist 04-19-2009 02:40 PM

again this is just my opinion but as long as she is not about to drop right now, you could go ahead and move her now. i had one i moved and it was about a week later when she dropped and everything was fine other than i didnt have enough plants for the fry to hide in and she ate all but 3 of them before i realized what she was doing.

Steve

Sj45 04-19-2009 02:52 PM

Alright, thanks so much.

wumpus 04-19-2009 09:22 PM

ya add the swordtail to the 10gal the shark especially would goble the fry up

joshronbp 05-06-2009 11:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 2018

Attachment 2019

the day before yest i bought 6 swordtails (4 females which one of them sadly died few hours after it was put in the new tank and 2 males) and put them with another 2 swordtails ( a male and fem) and 4 shubunkin and a goldfish. Yest i saw that the 3 new females had there belly bigger than the old 1 and one of them (in the photos) had a difficult not to notice GRavid spit so i moved her to a 2 gallon tank with big gravel