Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
- - Salt water help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/salt-water-help-23198/)
Salt water help
1. Tank size. 28 Gallons
2. What type of tank and how long has it been running? 4 hours..Right now it is just a salt water marine tank
3. Water parameters. Water temp 77.8 F 1.023 Salinity
4. Set up. Fiji live rock,17 lbs, Live Sand,Canister:Fluval Multi-Stage 05 series 205,180GPH,T-8 over head single fluorescent 20w Pennplax FL20,150 watt heater
5. Livestock. None
Anything I should do etc.. ? This is my first tank and not really sure about anything
get rid of the canister filter. these and any other filter will trap debris and detritus causing excess nutrients which will cause more problems. just like using bio balls, bio wheels and even the improper depth of sand.
enough flow, quality live rock, proper sand depth, feeding and stocking properly, water changes, protien skimmer and possibly a sump with macro algae, carbon/phosban reactors and that is the only filtration you should need and infact shouldnt have a hard time keeping nitrates at 0.
welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately I m not gonna re tare down what i started to place a sump in and my tank also does not havea hole drilled in it either..
The suggestion was that you get rid of the canister filter and it was a great suggestion. This filter has no place on a marine aquarium, which has been very well documented on this forum and in most pieces of modern aquarium literature. Canister filters trap waste, lowering calcium and increasing phosphate. These are not good things.
You need a protein skimmer. For a 29 gallon tank a hang on model will be fine. If you would like to continue this discussion, provide us with more details of your goals for this aquarium and we can give you some additional guidance.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.