Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Does a diseased fish effect filter media? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/does-diseased-fish-effect-filter-media-23175/)

JohnnyD44 04-17-2009 07:53 AM

Does a diseased fish effect filter media?

Hey Everyone!!

Well it's finally time....my patience has paid off and I'm finally setting up my 55G in my newly remodeled basement. It was a craiglist find, fixed up the tank, painted the background, and re-painted the hood and stand!!!

My question is...I posted a week or so ago about my sick molly in my tank, it has 'black spot' disease. I think it's a form of ich, but I could be wrong. I've been treating my tank for about 2 weeks now with a product reccomended to me at my LFS. Luckily, the Molly is getting better, swimming around some more, being more active.

I had planned on setting up the 55G, getting it up to temp and throwing on the 20G filter and moving the fish over, until the new 55G filter was established and then ditching the 20G for another 55G filter.

Is this still possible even though my fish is sick? Does the black spot disease on my molly effect the filter media in my current 20G tank? Should I not put that filter on the new 55G? I can always just cycle the 55G, but if i can avoid that, I'd love to.....Help!! haha :shock:

Thanks in advance for your help everyone! I'm so excited for this tank

1077 04-17-2009 08:07 AM

I would wait until I was sure that molly was cured before I put it, or anything from that tank in new 55gal. Why chance introducing disease in to yet another tank? Keep an eye on parameters in molly tank,some medications will deplete beneficial bacteria in the filter giving cause for ammonia spikes.

JohnnyD44 04-17-2009 09:04 AM

I just checked them last night

nitrite was 0ppm
nitrate was 10ppm
ammonia 0
ph 7.2

hmmm...I guess I gotta cycle this tank then huh? dang!! haha

1077 04-17-2009 09:18 AM

If you are sure the molly is better ,(cured) then some filter material or gravel from the mollys tank or placing the filter from mollys tank on 55gal would be ok. I would just want to be certain the fish(molly) was cured. Remember that mollys like hard and slightly alkaline water. 7.4 to 8.0 pH range. Were it me,, I might take some gravel and some filter material from the mollys tank and place it in filter for 55gal when you get the filter for the 55gal. I could then leave the molly where it's at and be certain it was cured. You could always use five or six small fish to help keep the bacteria going in the 55gal until it has matured or (cycled). Silvertipped tetras,bloodfin,or pristella would work well.

JohnnyD44 04-17-2009 10:38 AM

yeah....I'm pretty sure the molly isn't cured yet...in fact, I'm almost certain of it......I guess I'll just cycle this tank from the beggining and do a fishless cycle.....yippe.....haha!

thanks for your help 1077, any other advise is welcome too!!!