Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Any ideas on whats up here? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/any-ideas-whats-up-here-231737/)

antibabes 07-22-2013 04:03 PM

Any ideas on whats up here?

My green neon tetra is about 18 months old, and is looking perticully ill.
It stays at the front of the tank constantly, away from all other fish, water readings are all good, iv tried treatment for fungus, red sores, and open body wounds, and nothing is helping it.
Its been like this now for a month!
the only issues iv ever had with it was a year ago when it suffered severe ich, which it survived after lots of treatment.
No new fish have been introduced for over a year, and none of my other fish are ill!
heres some pics
http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/DSC_0280.jpg

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/DSC_0274.jpg

willow 07-22-2013 05:30 PM

hi.
looking really sad,poor little guy,
he looks a little deformed to me too.
for better advise people would really appreciate more information.
what are the actual readings for the water,the temperature,occupants,
decore,cleaning routine.
it may just be the ICH took its toll and the little guy is on his way out.

antibabes 07-24-2013 04:28 PM

hi, just done a fresh test on the water today, my Nitrate was 0, nitrite 0, amonia was 0.25, and my ph is 7.6 (ph has always been this as when i tried to bring it down i got fatalities) i do live in an area with hard water, but my fish seem fine with it.
in the tank i have a mix of gravel and sand, 4 large rocks, 1 large drift wood, a tardis that is made for aquariums, 8 live plants, unfortunatly i dont know the names, but i bought them for hardiness.
i have an internal filter that can do upto 100L/22gal, and i do a water change every sunday.
in regards ocuppants i have 5 green neon tetra, 7 black neon tetra, 6 harlequinn rasbora, and 3 leopard corys. (I know... overstocked, but theyve been ok for the past year!)

iv had 3 fatalities in the last year, 3 corys from swim bladder, 1 harlequinn rasbora unknown cause

willow 07-25-2013 09:58 AM

hi
your reading say that you tank hasn't cycled !
i'll pop a link in here for you to have a look at,i put the fish deaths
to this problem.
i could be wrong,and as always hope for other members here to pop in and
offer up their opinions :-D
have a look at the cycle .
hope that helps a bit. :-D

hmmm i don't seem to be able to post the link for you ?

antibabes 07-25-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow (Post 2635706)
hi
your reading say that you tank hasn't cycled !
i'll pop a link in here for you to have a look at,i put the fish deaths
to this problem.
i could be wrong,and as always hope for other members here to pop in and
offer up their opinions :-D
have a look at the cycle .
hope that helps a bit. :-D

hmmm i don't seem to be able to post the link for you ?

Thanks for your reply...

How long does cycling take? My tank has been running 2 years so i thought i was past all of that?

willow 07-25-2013 02:32 PM

hi
it should have cycled by now,usually 6-8weeks, how old is your test kit
and is it a liquid or strips one ?
let me try and get that link for you.

SeaHorse 07-25-2013 02:54 PM

All the stickies are being moved to the Reference Section... (currently near the top of the main page but being moved down soon.)

Here is a link to the articles...

Freshwater General Articles

Cycling a tank is in there 2nd article. Here is a diagram of the cycle which I find helpful:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...-cycle-101698/

Hope these help!

Sylverclaws 07-25-2013 03:10 PM

It's possible ick took it's toll on him and hurt his immune system.

It's possible he's deformed, but from the looks of it, I'd say he has some sort of internal parasite, taking all his nutrients and making him thin, killing his colors and messing up his bone structure. There's been a lot of problems with that lately, I had some cardinal tetras like this, some gouramis and some livebearers. It can hold them for months before finally killing them. I'd suggest an internal parasite medicine and a bit of extra feed for him. Treat the whole tank, most like more will come down with it soon if that's what it is, and that's certainly what it looks like.

What do you feed him and how often? Another posibility is he's not getting enough of what he needs, he needs a lot of plant-matter foods and something like brine shrimp and glassworms a couple times per week for extra. Flakes and pellets don't really cut it for everyone.

Poor guy. =( I hope you can save him, but unfortunately I have to say it's not looking good. But you never know, he sounds like a fighter.

antibabes 07-26-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sylverclaws (Post 2638114)
It's possible ick took it's toll on him and hurt his immune system.

It's possible he's deformed, but from the looks of it, I'd say he has some sort of internal parasite, taking all his nutrients and making him thin, killing his colors and messing up his bone structure. There's been a lot of problems with that lately, I had some cardinal tetras like this, some gouramis and some livebearers. It can hold them for months before finally killing them. I'd suggest an internal parasite medicine and a bit of extra feed for him. Treat the whole tank, most like more will come down with it soon if that's what it is, and that's certainly what it looks like.

What do you feed him and how often? Another posibility is he's not getting enough of what he needs, he needs a lot of plant-matter foods and something like brine shrimp and glassworms a couple times per week for extra. Flakes and pellets don't really cut it for everyone.

Poor guy. =( I hope you can save him, but unfortunately I have to say it's not looking good. But you never know, he sounds like a fighter.

He sure is a fighter, shoulda seen him after the ich, poor chap didn't look like he'd last but he recovered and has been fine until just this last month.
I feed my tank every 2 days at around 6 pm, i tend to give them flakes, but every now and then i give them an alternative to mix it up a bit.
I never give them live food, or frozen, as they tend to ignore it, leaving it to sink for the corys, and them damn pesky snails that somehow killed 3 assassin snails!!!

antibabes 07-26-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow (Post 2637610)
hi
it should have cycled by now,usually 6-8weeks, how old is your test kit
and is it a liquid or strips one ?
let me try and get that link for you.

I use liquid tests, iv had it about a year. but for aslong as iv had it, both nitrate and nitrite have shown 0, and amonia fluctuates between 0 and 0.25