Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Brackish Water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/brackish-water/)
-   -   New to Green Spotted Puffers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/brackish-water/new-green-spotted-puffers-23167/)

Holeintheworld 04-16-2009 11:27 PM

New to Green Spotted Puffers

Hi, I am new to puffers and just got 3. I saw them at a pet store and they looked terrible. They weren't in brackish water, there fins were ripped, and there tails were tucked against them and the stomachs were mostly black and they were with a bunch of tetras. I had an extra 15 gallon at home and took some water from another tank so it was all cycled and a filter, heater, and an airator and got some crushed coarl gravel to keep the pH low (is that ok? I heard they need a low pH and that coral will lower it). I have slowly been changing the water to brackish and they seem to be doing much better. I have been feeding them bloodworms and small snails and am hatching some brine shrimp eggs for them. They are about an inch and a half right now and I know they need a much bigger aquarium soon and plan to get atleast a 30 gallon if not bigger and if I am unable to I will bring them to a really good fish store specializing in fish and reptiles that will take care of them. But for now any pointers on how to keep them happy and healthy would be great!
Thanks!

Holeintheworld 04-17-2009 08:45 AM

Which is better for them aquarium or marine salt a found a few websites that said marine but just wanted to make sure.

iamntbatman 04-22-2009 05:16 PM

They need marine salt. However, because they were in fresh water (and I'm assuming are in freshwater right now) you'll want to invest in a hydrometer that can measure very low specific gravities. Then, over a long period of time (i.e. months) you're going to want to slowly increase the salinity. Green spotted puffers can even thrive in full marine conditions (specific gravity 1.025-1.026). If kept in freshwater, their lifespans will be much shorter.

For three puffers I would want something like a 55g or possibly a 40g breeder. You would need lots of filtration (10-15 times the gallon size for the tank, so for a 40g you'd want 400-600 gph total flow through your filters) because puffers are messy eaters. You'll also want to keep an eye out for bullying as these fish are quite aggressive and can be very nippy. If any fish is getting picked on, it should be removed.

Holeintheworld 04-27-2009 05:01 PM

They are in slightly brackish water right now (about 1.005). For now insteap of getting a stronger filter would just cleaning the tank 2-3 times a week do? And I'll get a bigger tank as soon as possible, right now they are like 1.5 inches, when is the latest I should get the bigger tank?

Twistersmom 04-27-2009 05:27 PM

The quicker you get a bigger tank the better. Having the extra space will held keep the fighting down, they will be able to establish their own territory.
It would be a good idea to keep an eye out on Craigslist, maybe a good deal will come your way.

Holeintheworld 04-28-2009 12:46 AM

Ok will start looking now, thanks!

Holeintheworld 04-28-2009 10:02 AM

Whta is the best food right now? It looked like they were getting a bit picky and it didn't seem they wanted the blood worms or brine shrimp very much so i got mysis shrimp, is that good for them, the seem to really like it? They won't eat any flakes or pellets either. What is a good nutritional food they will eat? And is there any good live foods I could get?

Twistersmom 04-28-2009 04:25 PM

If they eat the shrimp, thats great. Don't give up on the bloodworms yet, if it is new to them, they may just need to get used to it.
Blackworms would be a good live food, also lots of ramshorn snails. The snails are a must, to help trim their teeth.

Holeintheworld 04-30-2009 11:31 PM

Ok thanks, and i can definately feed them snails, i have a snail infestation in another tank. How much should i feed them?

Twistersmom 05-01-2009 07:53 AM

I would feed twice a day. Ideally you only want to feed them as much as they will eat in a couple min time, but puffers, they are very unpredictable in their eating habbits.
At one time I had my DP trained to eat from a dropper, that way I did not have alot of wasted food floating around the tank to remove.
I kind of got away from that and decovered my MTsnails will eat any uneaten bloodworm when they come out at night. They are a great little cleaning crew.
I would put in 3-4 rhamshorns and replace with some new when you notice they have been eaten.