Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Brackish Water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/brackish-water/)
-   -   GSP Not Eating (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/brackish-water/gsp-not-eating-23161/)

AznAirLines 04-16-2009 08:31 PM

GSP Not Eating

Hey everyone, I just recently bought a GSP a few days ago and he doesn't seem to be eating.. a whole lot. The only thing he seems to be eating are Ghost Shrimps. I've tried snails, freee-dried & frozen bloodworms and he won't touch them. He would just swim, look at it, and swim away. I'm wondering maybe if its because he just moved into the tank and is still adjusting to his new home or is it that he's just very picky about his food?

Tank:
20Gal (Upgrading to 55 once i move out)
White Sand
Heavy planted with Plastic Plants.

2 Filters: 150 Biowheel & Fluval Underwater #1 (addded carbon filter)

Here's the Water:
Ammonia/Nitrite = 0
Nirate = ~15-20
PH = 8.2
*Currently no tester for Hardness at the moment.

Salt Lvls - 1.008

His activites:
swimming around and every once in a while, swimming up and down the tank (most likely bored since my driftwood hasn't showed up yet) Could boredom be a reason? Heck if i was bored i would be eating like crazy. =)

I'm thinking of waiting it out and hoping its just him getting adjusted but I just want a second opinion.

onefish2fish 04-17-2009 06:27 AM

is there any chance you say him eat at the store? is there anything else in the tank with him?

give him some time to adjust to his new tank. avoid overfeeding, as this will just create more problems.
if this seems to go on for a period you can try pre-soaking food in a garlic suppliment to enhance his appetite.

AznAirLines 04-17-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 188669)
is there any chance you say him eat at the store? is there anything else in the tank with him?

give him some time to adjust to his new tank. avoid overfeeding, as this will just create more problems.
if this seems to go on for a period you can try pre-soaking food in a garlic suppliment to enhance his appetite.

I didnt see him eat at the store, i might call the store and see if the problem persist. I try my best to avoid overfeeding. I pretty much net out any remaining food that he doesn't eat out.

iamntbatman 04-22-2009 05:19 PM

Any updates? Puffers can be picky eaters so it's not surprising that you were having feeding problems, especially if he was newly introduced to the tank. He does need variety in his diet, so using alternative methods to get him to eat different foods is a good idea. Try using a pair of tongs and waving around (thawed) frozen mysis or krill. That may interest him more, and once he figures out that these are food items he may eat them even when you stop using the tongs.