Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   10g (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/10g-23150/)

sluzer07 04-16-2009 09:57 AM

10g

Hey, I am going to bring my 10g tank to school next semester... and i dont know what i really want to stock it with... what would be something you guys have found is interesting to look at but still hardy.

i was thinking i may try starting a planted tank with very small cardinal tetras. I'd love for them to breed is that normal in such a small tank? or even in captivity?

Cody 04-16-2009 04:38 PM

My upcoming 10G will hold:

-7 Cardinal Tetras
-1 Female Betta
-3 Cories
OR
-10 Cardinal Tetras
-1 Female Betta

petlover516 04-16-2009 06:58 PM

cory cats definately, cardinal tets definately, but i would replace a female betta with 2-3 platies.

Cody 04-16-2009 08:29 PM

That would be overstocked, and I'm done with livebearers. This is upgrading my 5G with 7 Cardinals and my sisters 2.5G with a female betta.

And this is not my thread.

eileen 04-16-2009 09:08 PM

I went to Petco in my area and they had this small 10 gal. set up like a 2 zone enviorment. It had a plastic thing in the background that had a cascading water fall from the water coming out of the filter and it was filled about 1/4 full of water. In the water they had little fish swimming in it. They had plants that came out of the water and an other zone for maybe frogs I think. I thought that it was very interesting to look at. It's just a cool idea that was interesting. I've seen stuff like this at a local fish store in a tiny nano tank it was very neat lookng with moss and a big peice of wood coming out of the water and a waterfall and a few neon tetras in the bottom half of the water.

Katydid 04-19-2009 01:38 PM

Sluzer, if the tetras do breed, what are you planning on doing with the fry?
(Must think far far ahead).

I vote for some african dwarf frogs. as I always do....odd though I have none.

wumpus 04-19-2009 09:16 PM

id add mickey mouse platies, a pleco and maybe a frog.

JohnnyD44 04-23-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wumpus (Post 189260)
id add mickey mouse platies, a pleco and maybe a frog.

what kind of pleco do you mean? a common pleco would never work in a 10G tank. mickey mouse platies are nice, but like cody said....i'm done with livebearers too.:-)

aunt kymmie 04-23-2009 09:25 AM

I'd do a planted tank w/ black substrate with at least seven cardinals and some red cherry shrimp. This type of set up has been mentioned numerous times by a certain member as his favorite set up and I'm going to try it, eventually. :-)

PS. Ditto on the pleco! Even a smaller sized pleco species shouldn't be housed in a10 g, IMHO.

sluzer07 04-24-2009 12:50 AM

i love cories... they are so awesome and pretty hardy.. i used to have some in my last tank actually i really liked them a lot of personality. i am not sure how to do plants though...? is that a worthy endeavor? i feel like a tank that small wont be able to do much.