Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Problem with my fish laying on bottom (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/problem-my-fish-laying-bottom-23147/)

bigali 04-15-2009 11:43 PM

Problem with my fish laying on bottom

1 Attachment(s)
I am having a problem with my fish. He lays on the bottom untill feeding, then begins acting crazy and bouncing of things like decorations or the substrate. He is eating flakes and bloodworms . He the lays down again. he has a few spots that look wierd on his body any help would be great. Thanks

Cody 04-16-2009 04:53 PM

... Again. Read the stickies.

http://www.fishforum.com/tropical-fi...ease-read-652/

aquakid 04-16-2009 08:08 PM

I had the same thing except the livebearers went into spinny attack mode.

bigali 04-17-2009 12:43 AM

Thanks for the post it... i will put more infor next time.. Fish died...

willow 04-17-2009 04:03 AM

hi
i'm so sorry that your fish died. :(
are your other fish ok.

bigali 04-17-2009 01:26 PM

All but one of my other fish seem ok. One of the small ones is acting wierd,
i have a 29gallon freshwater that is about 6 weeks old.
2 mollies (male)
1 sowrd tial
1 platy
1 dwarf gourami
1 hi fin tetra,
2 other small fish dont remember what they are
there are some live plants(bamboo) and one other type
almost no natural sun ligh
whisper 30 filter
i dont know what a co2 unit is
i performed my last water change last week and did about 25%
i do weekly water changes of about 25%
i feed daily in small amounts a mix of tetra flaks and frezze dried hikari bloodworms
i havent both a fish in a while and i use the little test strips that petco uses that are color coded.
So i see my fish bouncing off items on the tank, (only the 2 smallest fish are doing that) the one platy and that other fish i dont remember. i thnk it is some small platy. neway will test water and let u know but my marble molly is also chasing my cremsicle molly.. and he also picks on these two fish the little ones. my tetra also beats these guys up a little, and the gourami does his own thing . i wonder if the fish i am keeping are not supposed to be together ne advice is great, i also for to say i am useing a compact florecent for about 10 hrs a day

willow 04-17-2009 01:58 PM

hi
if possible would you be able to buy a liquid test kit,as the strips are
rather unreliable.
has your tank gone through it's cycle ?
what dechlorinator do you use ?

Firefighter337 04-17-2009 10:01 PM

One of my oscars use to float on its side all around the tank, then you turn the light on it woke her up or something. Sometime she would sleep in the tree. Odd fish. Has lived for over 1.5 years. Shes getting big.

The other tiger oscar use to pick up gravel from the bottom and take it to the top, then drop it and repeat. Until I threw some food in there for him.

bigali 04-18-2009 12:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i use api water conditioner and i will try to buy a liquid test lit can u recomend a brand. also i dont know anything about a cycle where can i read up on this... thanks
ps, i aslo use api stress coat, i have not had a chance to get to the pet store since i have been sick...
the fish in this pac has some black streaks on his body, dont know if htis is anything but any help would also be great. thanks

willow 04-18-2009 05:23 AM

hi
many members here including myself use API master liquid test kit.
the cycle.
basically in a very short explination:oops:
your filter will grow bacteria wich is good ok :)
it takes between 6-8 weeks to complete,so yours should be well on it's way.
the water readings you want from your test kit are.
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitate 10-20
while this is taking place please do not clean your filter at all,when your cycle is complete
you can give the media a rinse in the water you take out on the water change day,
then i think you only need to rinse again once a month,you won't need to change anthing
in the filter on a regular basis although the LFS will tell you to do so.unless there
is stuff in your filter falling apart,don't change it. :)
you can carry on with small water changes,as this will help the fish during this time,as
the toxins in the water build up,this will help dilute it.
i would advise you not to buy any fish at this time,as they will add to an already unstable bio load
and will probably not make it.
i'd just like to say i wish you a speedy recovery from being not well too.
hope this has helped a little.
:)