Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   zebra and Labidochromis Caeruleus : ) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/zebra-labidochromis-caeruleus-23118/)

fiLdisi 04-15-2009 10:35 AM

zebra and Labidochromis Caeruleus : )

Hello.
I have a problem about my tank

i have 7 fishes. ( 4 Zebra + 2 Labidochromis Caeruleus(sorry, i dont found in english) + 1 albino zebra)

My zebras run after Labidochromis Caeruleus, i dont like it and I'm very new about aquarium

what can i do, which one i prefer . ?

thank you

ps. Sorry for my english : )

Fishin Pole 04-15-2009 11:01 AM

Hello

First we would need to know how large your tank is.............How long has the tank been set-up?.......Are the fish juvenile or adults?..........To me it sounds like your zebras could be getting ready to breed and the Labs are infringing on their territory...........Malawi cichlids are really aggressive, especially when they are trying to pair up........if your tank is under 55 gallons, there isnt alot you can do to curb the aggression, other than buy a larger tank or a seperate tank for your yellow labs.........I would say that your labidochromis caeruleus are one of the more docile of the mbunas, and certain tankmates will pick on them (Thats not always the case)............Please give us a little more info and maybe other members can give you other ideas of what to do

fiLdisi 04-15-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishin Pole (Post 188067)
Hello

First we would need to know how large your tank is.............How long has the tank been set-up?.......Are the fish juvenile or adults?..........To me it sounds like your zebras could be getting ready to breed and the Labs are infringing on their territory...........Malawi cichlids are really aggressive, especially when they are trying to pair up........if your tank is under 55 gallons, there isnt alot you can do to curb the aggression, other than buy a larger tank or a seperate tank for your yellow labs.........I would say that your labidochromis caeruleus are one of the more docile of the mbunas, and certain tankmates will pick on them (Thats not always the case)............Please give us a little more info and maybe other members can give you other ideas of what to do

i have 100 Lt tank. (gallon.?)
i set up 1 week ago .
yellow labs are join today inside my tank
all fishes are juvenile. just zebra is adult. (1 fish)

i think, i take out my zebras to my friend's tank .
i dont have any idea about aquarium : )

thanks for interest

iamntbatman 04-22-2009 05:54 PM

How is it working out?

As Fishin Pole said, labs are pretty docile for mbuna, so it doesn't surprise me that the zebras were picking on them, especially if the zebras were significantly larger. If it's only a 100 liter tank, I think you would face a lot of problems with that mix of fish. It might be possible to have a small group of labs in a tank that size, but you would be better off with a bigger tank.

Fishin Pole 04-22-2009 07:19 PM

Batman is definitely correct, your gonna need a larger tank or the yellow labs arent gonna make it........Personally, i believe a 55 is the ideal size for 7 to 9 african cichlids......Try to give as many caves and dens as possible and make sure to break up the caves line of sight ( so the caves arent facing each other).....Some people like to stock there tank heavy with mbuna, but 19 years of raising them makes me see that as being wrong.........As they mature they will REALLY start to show thier aggression.......An overstocked african tank will be good for the first year, but usually leads to major aggression issues after that time

mcgrady7761 07-14-2009 03:41 PM

i would take those other fish back and keep the labs. personally