Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Blue Lobster? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/blue-lobster-23101/)

LOUIE ACES 04-14-2009 08:19 PM

Blue Lobster?

Ok so I REALLY want to add a blue lobster, either hammer cobalt or electric blue, to one of my aquariums but I don't know if it'll fit into either community I have. I have a 45 gallon hex tank with 8 african cichlids ranging in size, a large catfish, and a small pleco. I also have a 10 gallon, which I plan to transfer into a 30 gallon set up in a month or so, with 2 angelfish, 2 plecos, 1 albino rainbow shark, and 1 fancy goldfish **all young and quite small**. Am I setting myself up for disaster looking to add one of these little crayfish to one of those communities or is it possible I could have this work without any fatalities?

Thank you for any input you can give me :-D

Hopefully,

Louie

Firefighter337 04-14-2009 09:25 PM

I think you'd be okay adding it the angelfish tank. I put a dozen or so in my oscar tank a couple of years ago, since they were given to me. The oscars at them all. I saw them eat them, but I did not see them excrete them. :( Wonder where they went? The oscars are still living today.

paytheplayer 04-23-2009 10:00 PM

I've wanted Blue Lobsters forever now but I don't get them because I KNOW disaster will happen.
I bought a crayfish, put him in my piranha tank just to test it out. He attacked them, and they attacked back, and that was the end of it. I didn't want to risk any injuries.
I put him in my 120 gallon community tank. I had to remove him immediately. He uproots plants, digs his own holes in your gravel, and will attack and consume fish that he can get his claws on. I still have that crayfish, and I keep him in my feeder tank. Lets just say when I buy a dozen goldfish and put them in, you can guarantee he'll get atleast 2.

I know the Blue lobsters have smaller claws than regular crayfish, but I was told time and time again they would do the same. They will try to uproot your plants, whether they are live or fake, and even eat them. If they can get a hold of a fish, they will attack them and eat them. Just a warning.

If you do try them out, let me know how it goes. You never REALLY know how something will workout until you try it.

LOUIE ACES 04-27-2009 08:49 AM

Thanks pay...i heard exactly what you just said from other people. they tell me that putting the blue in with the cichlids will end in the cichlids eating it's eyes out, leaving the crayfish to die; and putting it in with the community will end in it getting its claws on the slower friendlier fish till they're all dead also. I think I'm just gonna scratch the whole idea and get a black ghost knife fish instead...

paytheplayer 04-27-2009 12:13 PM

That sounds like a good idea lol. If you REALLY wanted it, you could always put him by himself in a smaller tank, but if you don't want him that bad then it might not be worth the troubles. I was just lucky and had an extra 10 gal to put the crayfish in.

LOUIE ACES 04-30-2009 07:14 PM

yeah i'm gonna have an extra 10G tank once i transfer the guys from it to a 30G set up next week but i rent and i actually would feel bad running electric to 3 tanks at once just to have the blue lobster...i'm thinking i'll have to wait till i pay my own electric so i don't have a guilt trip of burning up my landlords bill

ps...go figure i was looking for a blue lobster for months and once i decide not to buy one, my local pet store just happens to have one in stock! GEEZ

killrnoodle 03-15-2013 07:30 PM

I keep them in tanks with fast swimming community fish. Look for ones that swim mostly at the top levels of your tank.

jaysee 03-16-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killrnoodle (Post 1469786)
I keep them in tanks with fast swimming community fish. Look for ones that swim mostly at the top levels of your tank.

Agreed, you can easily keep crayfish in a community tank, as long as you choose the fish wisely. Anything that spends the night near the bottom is not going to make it - crayfish hunt at night. I've kept crayfish with several barb species, as well as danios. I would expect rainbows to be okay too, but they are pretty expensive. Top water fish like golden wonder killis and african butterflies will do well. Piranhas? Oscars? Frankly, terrible choices. I don't know how one would expect anything different. Angelfish and goldfish are also bad choices, as are any bottom dwellers. They are not compatible with plants - crayfish are aquatic bulldozers.

I would not suggest keeping a crayfish in a 10 gallon tank. It's just not big enough, plain and simple. In my experience, they try to escape from 10 gallon tanks. Think about it- they only utilize a small percentage of the tank - the bottom. That's all they have. You wouldn't keep a 6 inch fish in a 10 gallon tank, so I don't understand why it's okay to keep a crayfish in one. At least the fish will utilize the entire volume of the tank.

The blue crayfish is just a color morph of whatever species it is, usually clarkii or alleni. There is no difference between them and the normal colored ones - the claws are not smaller just because they are blue.

frankiefire 03-19-2013 10:57 AM

I've had one in my 20 gallon with a school of 8 tiger barbs and a common pleco for a year now with no losses.