Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   Reef tank without snails? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/reef-tank-without-snails-23083/)

princesuhaib 04-14-2009 01:10 PM

Reef tank without snails?

is it ok to have a reef tank without snails?

Pasfur 04-14-2009 05:12 PM

Sure. Snails are very beneficial for algae control and substrate sifting, but you could accomplish these tasks in other ways. Why?

princesuhaib 04-14-2009 06:50 PM

cause i am wanting to know what type of clean up crew i want to use, and i dont like snails, so i was curious, but if its more beneficial and if it would really help me out, than i wont mind.

Pasfur 04-14-2009 07:34 PM

It is really beneficial and would help you out tremendously.

onefish2fish 04-14-2009 09:53 PM

personally i like snails more then crabs which include and esp. hermits.

crabs are opportunistic and will eat whatever they can get ahold of. hermits dont have a problem ripping snails out of their shells for a home only to decide they dont like it and move onto the next one.
really it comes down to preference, i have and i know others have kept both snails and hermits together, i just prefer all snails. a mixture is best .. some astreas, some ceriths, some nerites, some nassarious, some stomatallas if you can get them, some turbos..

klosxe 04-15-2009 04:08 PM

agree, I have a mix and I think a mixture of both is best

besides both are fun to watch in addition to being beneficial to your tank :-P

Cody 04-15-2009 06:33 PM

Crabs suck. I wouldn't have them if I had something else to clean up in-organic material. The LFS has been out of Nass Snails.

I don't know why someone wouldn't get snails. They are cheap, clean very well, and are completely invisible when the tank is stocked.

ThalesthePearsei 04-15-2009 11:31 PM

What is the best snail for a nano reef? I had turbo once, and it grew huge and was always knocking over corals. I would like to add some snails, as I currently have none, but I do not know where to start.

klosxe 04-16-2009 06:19 AM

Cody one of the main reasons I like a mixture is because yes snails are good for some clean up duties, but not all, and the same is said for the crabs. If you got a mixture, they would will have a larger variety of nuisance algae or organic material that wont be causing bad water quality. Plus crabs are fun to watch :lol:

Sorry ThalesthePearsei, but I've never really looked deep into snail species...

When I have bought snails in the past I first bought them off of Dr. Mac's from Pacific East Aquaculture in a package (I got some great corals for a good price with them too :-P) for my 560g display tank.

Then for my smaller nano reef tank, i got some from my LFS and they were sold as miscellaneous reef clean up snails, so i dont really know what I have roaming around in there :roll:

One question I've always wondered but never asked is if we could, or should put snails in a refugium.

ThalesthePearsei 04-16-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klosxe (Post 188389)
One question I've always wondered but never asked is if we could, or should put snails in a refugium.

When I had my 50 gallon running, I bought 2 turbos and within the same week, I had hundreds of little baby turbos. They somehow made their way into the refugium and were fine, and eventually grew huge. So, if a turbo can do it, I think the smaller ones will be just fine.