Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Hole in Head Disease Help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/hole-head-disease-help-23065/)

jimbo2412 04-13-2009 08:55 PM

Hole in Head Disease Help

I have two 2inch oscars in a 40 gal with a 5 inch pleco. today i noticed one of the oscars has a few holes starting around the nostrils and the gills. Im feeding them a pelleted diet, and have a bio-wheel filter(40-55Gal.), UGF, and a Canister Filter(40-50Gal). I did read it can be caused by over filtering is that what im doing or what is it? Please Help.:cry:

1077 04-14-2009 04:58 AM

Would be helpful to know what your water tests indicate for ammonia,nitrites,and nitrAtes. Some,(me too) believe that less than ideal water conditions and or lack of variety in foods plays a part with fish affected by this disease. Improving the water conditions through water changes,and providing a variety of different foods is said to help. Especially foods with vitaminC.

jimbo2412 04-14-2009 07:54 AM

ok.
Nitrate=0ppm
Nitrite=0ppm
Total Hardness=75ppm(soft)
Total Chlorine=0ppm
Total Alkalinity=80ppm
pH=6.8-6.9

They have been fine for two months. The tanks has been getting 25% water changes 1x a week.

1077 04-14-2009 08:35 AM

In a mature or (cycled ) tank there should be some detectable nitrAtes. Also, what does ammonia test reveal? In any event, Were it me ,,I might try twice weekly water changes for a while and offer a variety of foods.I would not offer feeder fish as food for this is a very good way to introduce disease or bacterial infections to your fish. I would focus on prepared frozen and dry foods that contain vitamims. Jungle products also offers a anti-bacterial fish food that may prove helpful if condition worsens. I am not a fan of medicating fish but have used the anti-bacterial and anti-parasite medicated food by Jungle on occasion.Keep your water clean through water changes,don't overfeed and do try variety of foods for cichlids.

jeaninel 04-14-2009 11:29 AM

I have never heard of overfiltering to cause HITH. Follow the advice given by 1077. Clean water and a good diet (particularly containing vitamins A, C and D) is very important. Also, be sure to include some veggies.

1077 04-14-2009 12:06 PM

I believe those who suggest overfiltering are suggesting that the use of carbon plays a role ,but there is no scientific evidence to support that claim.In fact the disease has been reported in tanks where carbon was never used. I am much more receptive to those who believe that improving the water and the diet goes a long way in helping to address the problem.

marxous 08-05-2009 02:09 PM

Hey Guys,

I've had my oscars for 3 years now, they're virtually full grown, and are in a 100 gallon tank with no other fish in the tank. They've never had any problems, and the tank os very well established.

My 2 questiosn are:
What veggies do you feed these guys? I didnt know they would eat veggies. I feed them Cichlid Gold pellets, sinking shrimp pellets, and freeze dried shrimp Hikari.

Would a salt bath help for HITH?
Theres no salt, or very little in the tank. Last time i added salt was a long long time ago. Would this help?
( i know these are fresh water fish, and yes generally fresh water fish benifit fromsmall amounts of salt and minerals added to the water. there is evidence to prove this, so please dont flame me for adding salt to my tank.)

Thanks all for any and all help. Also would anyone reccommend meds for HITH? I hear its not very treatable...

Herky 08-07-2009 08:08 PM

Salt is only really used for treating ich. Other than that it's a waste of time and money. It just isn't needed.