Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   New Boesemani Rainbow won't eat... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/new-boesemani-rainbow-wont-eat-230554/)

Austin 07-20-2013 06:29 PM

New Boesemani Rainbow won't eat...

My new boesemani rainbowfish I got yesterday very vigorously goes after the flake food I put in the fish tank, but it seems he sucks in the food and just spits it right out immediately after. Is it maybe the flake food that he won't accept? The other fish eat it fine.

RackinRocky 07-20-2013 09:11 PM

Have you tried different foods? Maybe he wasn't fed flakes, and isn't used to them. Sometimes I'll get a new fish that isn't used to what I'm feeding on a particular day, and it won't recognize it as food, so either ignores it or spits it out. Sometimes they do spit out the food if the piece is too big (Rainbows have small throats) and then re-eat it as it gets smaller.

I would try brine shrimp, bloodworms or Tubifex, and maybe try some pellets. Or even a mix of all three--he's bound to like one of them! Cut up the bloodworms to make it easier for him to eat them. I have noticed a lot of fish don't seem to have been fed flakes, but will go for the pellets, or vice versa. Also, what brand of flakes are you using? Maybe he was used to another brand. Try something high quality, like Omega One, or New Life Spectrum.

Austin 07-20-2013 10:48 PM

Tetra brand flakes. I will probably buy omega when I run out but I have a LOT left... It's like an economy sized can. If he doesn't eat in a day or two ill buy some brine shrimp. :) thanks.

JDM 07-21-2013 09:20 AM

The NLS have a really small sinking pellet. It sinks very slowly or will sit on the surface for a while. I started using it when I got some smaller fish. As funny as it was when the small guys grab a larger pellet and scoot around with it in their mouth to keep the "catch" away from the others, it wasn't terribly efficient.

Never used flakes.

Jeff.

jaysee 07-21-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin (Post 2599778)
My new boesemani rainbowfish I got yesterday very vigorously goes after the flake food I put in the fish tank, but it seems he sucks in the food and just spits it right out immediately after. Is it maybe the flake food that he won't accept? The other fish eat it fine.

It's not a matter of not accepting the food - it is a sign of stress. it wants to eat but it's not comfortable enough to eat. In my experience it is normal for new fish to not eat. I don't bother feeding new fish for the first few days.

You should just toss the tetra flakes. Aside from the fact that it's nothing but junk, the economy size can means that it will lose it's nutritional value (what little it has) before you are even close to using it up. Garbage belongs in the garbage. Go get your fish a quality food to eat.

Austin 07-22-2013 06:43 AM

I will get some better food soon and some frozen live foods to feed too. :)

I thought I'd update. He seems to be eating; he seems to "barf" out his gills though quite often, or spit it back out in tiny pieces. He is making a mess!! -_- But I think hes downing quite a bit of it now.

RackinRocky 07-22-2013 07:53 PM

Good for you! Yeah, seems like everything Tetra makes is junk, including the food! Mine love frozen bloodworms, Emerald Entrée (brine shrimp w/spirulina), regular brine shrimp, krill and Mysis shrimp. I rotate them all, giving pellets and flakes every other day. That way they get a big variety. Also, veggies and fruits cut in teeny pieces are also good for Rainbows. The shrimp pellets are a nice treat too, and you can crush them or soak them so they are easier to eat. I must have over a dozen foods for my fish!

So glad to hear he's eating! My Rainbows also frequently "barf." They are pigs, and try to get pieces that are too big into their mouths. One time one of my girls had a shrimp pellet in her mouth, and had her mouth wide open for the longest time (well, it was probably only 10 minutes, but seemed longer) and finally the shrimp pellet came bursting out. So now I crush or soak them.

Austin 07-22-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RackinRocky (Post 2616601)
Good for you! Yeah, seems like everything Tetra makes is junk, including the food! Mine love frozen bloodworms, Emerald Entrée (brine shrimp w/spirulina), regular brine shrimp, krill and Mysis shrimp. I rotate them all, giving pellets and flakes every other day. That way they get a big variety. Also, veggies and fruits cut in teeny pieces are also good for Rainbows. The shrimp pellets are a nice treat too, and you can crush them or soak them so they are easier to eat. I must have over a dozen foods for my fish!

So glad to hear he's eating! My Rainbows also frequently "barf." They are pigs, and try to get pieces that are too big into their mouths. One time one of my girls had a shrimp pellet in her mouth, and had her mouth wide open for the longest time (well, it was probably only 10 minutes, but seemed longer) and finally the shrimp pellet came bursting out. So now I crush or soak them.

Ahh, most of my stuff is tetra, water conditioner and stuff. It's just what I've used for years! Probably because it was cheapest.. Fairly often you get what you pay for though.

I'll have to try those foods! I want to give my fish a very healthy diet. I'm into healthy eating myself. Tetra flakes are probably the McDonald's of fish food. :P

They are pigs!!!!! I only have one (I will get more soon I feel guilty having him alone!!) but having just one is crazy enough! It's odd because they are so mellow until you put food in and then they dart up and down at 1000 miles per hour! My poor angelfish is more dainty than them and it is calmly getting food while the rainbow is spazzing out.

RackinRocky 07-23-2013 02:08 PM

How funny--I can just imagine the sedate angelfish looking at the Rainbow, and thinking, "What is up with you? Are you crazy?" Yes, they are happiest when there is at least 6 of them. That's why I have 6. Not all of the same type, but at least they do shoal together. I have a single Bolivian Ram, and he's fine by himself. You can keep them singly, but not a good idea with Rainbows. And yes, I agree, you get what you pay for with most things!

Austin 07-23-2013 10:16 PM

I went to buy more and all of them had at least a tiny hint of fin rot, so I didn't get any. :/ sadly only one pet store nearby actually carries them and its petco...

Do you happen to know if it will be okay to get 3 males and 3 females? Or too high a male:female ratio?
Posted via Mobile Device