Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Which fish should I get? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/fish-should-i-get-23051/)

Shanna 04-13-2009 02:51 PM

Which fish should I get?

I have a 29 gallon tank and am in the process of researching fish. I like the rainbow sharks, angel fish, cherry barbs, mollies, neon tetras, loaches, cory cats and zebra danios. There's a lot of conflicting information on the web about these fish and their compatibility. Anyone have any successes/failures about mixing these fish. I don't want to add ANY fish until I have an idea about which I can mix. I prefer to have a couple of schooling fish and few lone fish.

eileen 04-13-2009 03:15 PM

I have a 55. gal tank. I have a community tank. It has a sand bottom and is planted with fake and real plants. I have:
1 Angelfish
6 Harlenquen Rasboras
7 Glow light tetras
2 Gold Dust Mollies males
2 mollies, 1 blk. balloon, 1 female dalmation
2 Bushy nosed plecos to get the algae off the tank glass. The best fish I every got for cleaning the glass and decorations
4 dwarf rainbow fish

I was told to get 1 Angelfish as if you get more they will pair off and fight with the other angels and defend the eggs they lay from the other fish in the tank. I was told to get a baby angel as they grow up with the other fish in the tank and do not bother them. Mine was about 1" big and is now 3" and is really sweet to all my other fish. 1 Angelfish will control any baby frys that a livebearer will have in the tank. So its like a population control for anyone that wants livebearers. Dwarf Gouarmis are nice for your size tank. They only get about 2" reg size gouarmis get to be about 4" big. I posted a picture of my tank under (changing out substrate) in freshwater aquariums. a nice group of schooling fish is nice also. I find that the Harlenquen Rasboras to be very hardy. Corys will get along with about any good community fish also. Blk shirt tetras are mean.

Psychmajor 04-19-2009 10:07 PM

the tetras have been known to be a bit aggressive, however i have never had a problems, danios and mollies are best tos tart with, with a cory cat is just fine. I have never had chery barbs, but i have had tiger barbs and mollies together. however, one thing you need to know, mollies are live bearers, so be prepared that you may have some babies pop up. your lfs may take them if you cant keep them. if you find that you have fry, make SURE you have enough cover for them to hide in or get them out of the tank completely, before the rents eat them. good luck!

Sj45 04-19-2009 10:59 PM

I don't think you'll have any fighting problems unless the loaches fight amongst themselves and the angel(s) will probably eat your neons as they're a natural food.

I'd only rec. 1 angel as it's a fairly small tank.