Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ponds and Waterfalls (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ponds-waterfalls/)
-   -   Setting up a pond (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ponds-waterfalls/setting-up-pond-23045/)

adiumroot 04-13-2009 12:57 PM

Setting up a pond

Hello! I'm a new member here and I'll be setting up a small above-ground garden pond.

The structure has been built already. It was a concrete structure surrounding a tree in our backyard but a storm blew and a lightning strike split the tree in half, killing it. My folks and I decided to make the concrete structure a pond, so we raised the walls a little bit and waterproofed the inside. It now measures 5x5x2 feet (planned water depth, not structure height) with a small island in the middle, where we will be placing a potted plant to provide the fishies with shade.

I plan to add water plants and some goldfish and probably, one or two koi.

I've seen koi and goldfish coexist peacefully so I plan to mix them. (If you have experience otherwise, please tell me). I would've put only koi if the pond weren't too small. I love koi, especially kohakus (as evidenced by my avatar)

So, how many fish can you recommend putting in?

And btw, I will be having filtration by means of a pump and a DIY bucket filter.

So, those are the basics of my project. If there's any aspect of it you would like to know, please do so, so I can post it and for people to hopefully correct it if I'm doing it wrong.

Thanks!

aquakid 04-13-2009 01:30 PM

I need to know how many gallons

adiumroot 04-13-2009 01:37 PM

I used an online calculator and it says 311.5 UK gallons and 374.1 US gallons. Take away a bit about 10 or 20 gallons because there's a small island in the center.

onefish2fish 04-13-2009 09:56 PM

im far from pro on the goldfish/koi and even ponds but my father has "baby sat" his friends 2 koi and temp. put them into his fancy goldfish tank. one of the goldies is now missing an eye because of the koi.

i have also seen koi 3'+ that were 30 years old. plan for the long term and goodluck. welcome to the forum.

derekp 04-13-2009 11:50 PM

In all honesty, that amount of gallons is not sufficient enough for just one koi. A full grown koi, from what I have read, need at least 500 to 1000 gallons for just one.

You have to consider the swimming space, the amount of oxygen a large koi is going to use for itself, and the huge bioload amount one koi is going to put off.

Now I am not saying that you cannot put any koi into it temporarily. I am just saying that you need to have a back up plan because koi grow quite fast, and I am sure the last thing you want to do is stunt their growth. I myself have 12 5 inch koi in a 200 gallon above ground pond that I am growing out. But I have a 20,000 gallon pond for my big uns.

I hope you enjoy your time in koi keeping. They are very enjoyable and quite rewarding when kept properly.

Derek

adiumroot 04-14-2009 08:34 AM

So I guess I'm sticking to goldfish then, since they don't grow as big as koi. Thanks guys. I'll update this thread once I get it set up.

derekp 04-14-2009 10:45 AM

Goldfish would be perfect, and will never outgrow that pond. :-D

onefish2fish 04-14-2009 10:14 PM

looking forward to pictures.

adiumroot 04-16-2009 08:27 AM

I have another concern, now that the pond is almost done...

What kind of paint should I use and what color is good for painting the interior of the pond? I know there are specialized pond paints but I don't think they are available locally and getting it shipped in is gonna cost a lot. Are there any other alternatives? Roof paints, perhaps?

adiumroot 04-17-2009 12:29 PM

Okay, I decided to not paint the interior anymore. Not my decision actually, but my folks'.

I've now added a few plants, installed the powerhead and filter, aged the water, and now, I've started cycling the pond with 4 black mollies in it. I really think I should've bought more since 4 small fish are going to produce very little waste compared to the total water volume.

I just noticed that there are tiny leaks in the sides! Well, it's not much but it would be a problem in the long run. I don't think it would deplete the water level significantly, so I'll be waiting until morning to fix it (noticed leaks at around midnight)