Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   Pom pom crab (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/pom-pom-crab-22994/)

conger 04-11-2009 09:01 PM

Pom pom crab

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I've got a pom pom crab in my 90 gallon tank. I've had him in there for a couple of months... I was worried initially that I'd never see him, they're usually recommended for small nano tanks, simply because they like to hide and hang out in the rocks (I've got 150 lbs of LR, thinking I'd be lucky to get one glimpse a month if that). He's actually been fairly "out there", he does stay in the rocks, but will make an appearance at the edge of the rockwork a few times a week.

Early on, he lost one of his two front arms which hold the anemones, so he only had one anemone. I was worried that even after he re-grew his arm after a molt or two, that he'd be without the other anemone... well he molted, and just yesterday we noticed that he has two anemones again! I don't know if he split the one he was carrying, or if he remembered where he left the other, and picked it back up again, but however he did it he's got both of his pom poms back now lol.

Before (missing arm) and after (today) shots:

Attachment 1638

Attachment 1639

burlybear 04-11-2009 09:29 PM

Cool Crab!

willow 04-12-2009 04:35 AM

wow!! that's amazing.
i didn't know they could grow them back,and it looks so normal,
some things get limbs back,but they look deformed.

aunt kymmie 04-12-2009 10:42 AM

I would have never thought they could regenerate a missing limb. How did he lose his limb to begin with?? Thanks for posting these pics!

conger 04-12-2009 12:19 PM

yeah crabs can definitely regenerate missing limbs when they molt, though it might take a couple of molts for it to return to its normal size. I think my crab's newly-regenerated arm is a little smaller than the other, so it might take another molt for it to be back full-force. I'm really stoked that it got the other anemone back though.

As to why he lost it to begin with, I'm thinking one of the other larger tank-mates had it out with him early on... there's a coral banded shrimp in the tank that's the likely culprit, or maybe one of my more aggressive fish (4-stripe damsel, maroon clown). This pom pom crab is really tiny, like less than an inch across, so without those stinging anemones, he's pretty much a mobile lunch for whoever wants him :P

willow 04-12-2009 02:59 PM

aww bless him,so it could happen agine then ?

onefish2fish 04-12-2009 10:56 PM

these crabs are cool.. even without the anemones they will "box" with opponents when threatened.

nice shots too, i like the pattern on its shell.

princesuhaib 04-20-2009 08:22 PM

Respect to him!!! Awesome Pics!

conger 05-23-2009 01:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got a nice, clear photo of him today, he and his 'nems are still kicking! The pattern on his eyes makes it look like he is constantly squinting LOL, like he's angry or very suspicious of everything :D

Attachment 2221

princesuhaib 05-23-2009 01:20 AM

very nice pic bro!