Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   salt (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/salt-2293/)

Rogergolf66 01-05-2007 10:58 PM

salt

What brand of salt do you recommend. I was using kent. Is that the recommended?
does it matter what brand are they all good?

reef tank.

Is it different salt with a fish only tank they a reef tank?

Thanks Roger

caferacermike 01-06-2007 12:02 AM

http://web.archive.org/web/200103092...t0301/f112.jpg

The above is from article published in Journal of Aquariculture and Aquatic Science.

Ammonia is very deadly in a reef tank. The slightest amount can reak havoc.

I've always said Kent salt is crap. Here is the analysis that says so.

I have been using Sea Chem for a long time and have been preaching the values of their products for a very long time. I think you know why now. Tropic Marin is considered the absolute best and purest mix available. However a bit more pricey than Sea Chem. Of course the values are not complete values but will probably hold true along all component testing like mag, alk, PH, etc....

There are several factors to choosing the right salt mix for example,

Tropic Marin reef. A great all around salt. High in all levels, pure, and buffers for a really long time.

Tropic Marin Pro. For the serious reef enthusiast that also has Kalk reactors or CA reactors, Ozone, and custom doses. The values are lower so the the hobbyist can easily fine tune the supplemants.

IO, Instant Ocean. A good fish or Fowlr salt mix. Not very high in reef minerals.

Reef Crystals is actually an Instant Ocean product meant to distract you from IO's low quality. Kind of like A Scion is a Toyota is a Lexus. The comparison here is that IO is a Scion and RC is the Toyota.... To bad they don't have a Lexus line.

Red Sea, dehydrated sea water. The package makes it sound like reef gold however it is actually the leftover byproduct from civilian desalination plants. The water is pumped from the sea and through an RO unit. The salts are removed and laid out to dry. The salt is then packaged for hobby use. You never know what you get. If a tanker where to leak in the harbor.....

Red Sea claims to be working on a new reef formula with elevated levels.

Instant Ocean is creating a new salt that is for RO/DI users only. In fact most of the laboratory grade salt mixes are intended to be moied with RO/DI water. To guarantee he analysis you'd have to use pure water or the levels could swing all over the place.

Kent and Oceanic have long been considered bad products. In fact the entire Kent product line is being shunned by most reefers as being made solely to sell to people, not enhance our tanks. I went to a trade show put on by Kent. The main stressor that was stated over and over again was about how Kent packages their products in so many sizes and actually repackages the same products in different bottles with different names with the intent to fool the customer. Being said was that customers are far more impressed by a product line that fills the shelves with 40 different produtcs and SKU numbers compared to Sea Chem's paltry 6 product line up of reef supplements. Don't get me started on what garbage Kent RO units are. Their membranes have horrible rejection rates when new. Kent was bought out by the largest pet products company recently. This means that they are now primarily a PetCo PetSmart type of brand. Sea Chem, tropic Marin, and ESV Labs are the power house companies.

bettababy 01-06-2007 01:11 AM

Mike,
I noticed your comment about the Kent/Oceanic line... and you are correct about them having been bought out recently... but as for being "petco/petsmart type brand", then I have to ask what you think of AllGlass and Oceanic aquariums? The companies that merged with Kent are AllGlass, Oceanic, and a few others. The name of the company now is Central Aquatics.

My husband works there, in tech support department. We just ate dinner at the company Christmas party with one of the lab/research techs. While I wasn't fond of many of the Kent products before, I am now interested because they are making improvements and changes. Don't give up on them or trash them just yet, please? Give them a chance, they're still hiring their permanent staff. Changes are coming... changes are always coming...

Rogergolf66 01-06-2007 06:13 AM

what about NSW that was never talked about?

Thanks for all the info great to know.

Roger

caferacermike 01-06-2007 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettababy
Q 1. of AllGlass and Oceanic aquariums?

Q 2. they are making improvements and changes. Don't give up on them or trash them just yet, please? Give them a cthey're still hiring their permanent staff. Changes are coming...

Answer 1. Oceanic used to be the best commercial company around. Not so anymore. As of about October of 06 everything changed. Oceanic was bought out and moved to Lansing MI with All Glass. Allglass makes a decent product and I've always recommended their tanks over Marineland/Perfecto tanks. That does not mean I think they are a great product. They skim corners and have to add all kinds of bracing to their products because of substituting thinner glass. Oceanic has always used heavier glass reducing the need for bracing. Since buyouts generally mean one thing, make money for stockholders, you wouldn't buy out a company just to lose money right, I do not expect to see the type of quality that used to be in the tanks. All Glass merging with Oceanic means one thing to me, that a larger company bought a name not way of doing business. When the Oceanic guys start asking for an expensive piece of equipment or are seen hand building each tank those practices will be shut down for more efficient, not better, methods. Let's also be quite frank here, the best of the best from Oceanic did not move with the company. Instead they moved to Dallas and started a new company Oceanic is only a shell name now. All Glass only got a name, not a staff. Don't forget that Central Aquatics is not the only "owner" Central Aquatics is owned by yet another "pet industry giant". What it boils down to is a giant conglomerate pumping out brightly packaged poorly made crap for the masses, not the hobbyist or purist.

Answer 2. Now about Kent. You say don't give up on them. Huh? I said I gave up on them years ago. I stand by that. When their products can stack up against Sea Chem for quality and price I'd think about it. But even then I'd just stay with known quality put together with the diehard hobbyist in mind. Think of Kent as Tetra from now on. Just an old designer name to place ont he shelves at PetCo to make them seem legitimate. Their whole practice of "more SKU's to dupe consumers" will be kindly taken to heart at the giant retailers.

caferacermike 01-06-2007 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogergolf66
what about NSW that was never talked about?

Thanks for all the info great to know.

Roger

Natural Sea Water. NSW.

Derek-M 01-06-2007 11:24 AM

I am using Red sea coral pro which is formulated for the use with r/o water.... So far its working well

http://www.redseafish.com/Product.as...D=68&proID=283

usmc121581 01-06-2007 04:18 PM

I've always used instant ocean and have never had a problem with any thing.

caferacermike 01-06-2007 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmc121581

I'm only going to say one thing. You may have never had a problem with it but what if your tank grew faster and more colorful if it's needs were better met? Remember who nudged you towards MH lighting and the results you got from that.

usmc121581 01-07-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caferacermike
Quote:

Originally Posted by usmc121581

I'm only going to say one thing. You may have never had a problem with it but what if your tank grew faster and more colorful if it's needs were better met? Remember who nudged you towards MH lighting and the results you got from that.

I have always wanted to get MH lighting put you are the one that pushed me over the edge. I have thought about tring different salt but the wife would say way change it is nothing is wrong. But What I'm saying is you might have pushed me over this cliff too.(you can stop doing that now) This weekend when I do a water change I'll change brands then.