Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Please help- My platy is about to die (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/please-help-my-platy-about-die-229290/)

All that is Fishy 07-18-2013 04:25 PM

Please help- My platy is about to die

Hi everyone. I came home just a few minutes ago, and when I checked on the fish, I couldn't find one of the platys. Finally, I found her towards the bottom of the tank. She is lethargic looking. She is just laying there, in the water, but not quite at the bottom. I tapped on the glass, but she didn't move. I tried to get her in the fish net to move her away from the plant she was laying by, and she moved away from the fish net, but her body didn't move a little, it looked like she was moving the front of her body way more than usual.

My tank is 38 Gallon, water parameters are normal, BUT the tank was 87 degrees when I got here! I put in a bag of ice inside another bag and turned off the light. I last did a water change on Sunday, when I changed roughly 30% of the water, as is fairly typical (I usually do in the 25-40% range). I am using food pellets. We feed in the morning and at night, but I haven't yet tonight. She is usually an active fish, but she is barely moving. She looks dead, but as I said, she did move.

I don't know what to do. This has never happened before. Please help!

All that is Fishy 07-18-2013 04:41 PM

Never mind. She died. :cry:

Romad 07-18-2013 05:51 PM

So sorry about your fish :( Assuming there were no other signs of illness, you might never know why :(

All that is Fishy 07-18-2013 06:10 PM

Thank you. There were no other signs of illness. I bet it was because she got too warm. I am still trying to cool the water down slowly.

I had posted another thread about my fish going missing, and after I was done posting asking for help for my platy, I went back to the tank, and she was gone. So, my catfish ate her in her weakened state. I feel bad, because she was lethargic and near his spot, but when I tried to move her to a different area, she would move right next to the catfish's log so I couldn't pick her up. I really wish I picked her up with my hand and moved her. I was just trying to figure out what was wrong with her so I could buy some medicine for her.

I have lost fish before, mostly tetras and at the very beginning of the tank, three zebra danios. I recently lost a guppy. But, I have had this platy for almost or about a year, so I am especially sad to lose her. It's also especially bad because my other platy loved her and followed her around everywhere. That platy will be lost without her.

Austin 07-19-2013 12:09 AM

:( sorry your platy died.

This might make you feel better or not, but regardless of moving her, when fish get like that, in my experience, it's usually past the point of being able to be fixed. So there was not much more you could have done.

All that is Fishy 07-19-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin (Post 2587650)
:( sorry your platy died.

This might make you feel better or not, but regardless of moving her, when fish get like that, in my experience, it's usually past the point of being able to be fixed. So there was not much more you could have done.

Thank you. That does make me feel better.

My fiance and I hooked up the air conditioning this morning. We put it in the room that the aquarium is in, so that sound help them be more comfortable in this heat wave.