Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   New to Fishdom (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/new-fishdom-229/)

Deefish 08-16-2006 11:14 PM

New to Fishdom

Greetings Fish Folk!

I recently purchased a 20 Gal tank and 5 cichlids and a pleco. I am having a great time with them and find myself langishing in front of the tank often. I have a few questions.

First. I know that two of my fish are convicts. Males if the IFS are to be believed (I've done some reading, Blue:). I would like to know what the other fish are. I think one is a zebra. It is blue with black vertical bars. one fellow is yellow with a small amount of black on the dorsal fin and the final fellow is kind of spotted with a yellowish belly and what I would call the ventral fins-- although I'm sure that is not correct. The spotted fish is so funny! He "plays" in the bubbles from the bubble wand I have in there.

Second. I am a simple country girl with hard water. All reading suggests that the fish I have like hard water. Is this true? Do I need to have a different water conditioner than you city folk?

Third. My tank have been up about a week. I am terribley compulisive and most likely did everything wrong. The boys, as I call them, seem fine and thriving. I want to keep them that way. I did let the tank run for 48 hours before adding fish. I bought a kit that had everything in it for set up (so they say). Blue and fellow Fish Folk, did I miss anything? Please dumb it down for the country girl. Remember I'm a newby. Thank you for your time. Gotta go, the fish are calling....Dee

Deefish 08-16-2006 11:17 PM

More info...

I forgot to tell you that my fish are all African except for the Convicts. Pushy little buggers those two! Dee

Lupin 08-16-2006 11:35 PM

Hi and welcome, Dee.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Convicts are Central American cichlids. They are pretty adaptable to all ranges of water conditions so there's no need to worry about your fish.:)
Your other fish sound like they came from Lake Malawi. Your water chemistry seems perfectly suitable for them. Make sure the water pH won't drop below 7 as Malawi cichlids don't tolerate soft water.
Pls do not mix cichlids from different origins as they may eventually struggle to fight for territories.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deefish
Second. I am a simple country girl with hard water. All reading suggests that the fish I have like hard water. Is this true? Do I need to have a different water conditioner than you city folk?

Water in the city often contains chlorine and chloramine. You'll need the water conditioner just to be safe in case your water may contain heavy metals and such.

P.S. It would be better if you ask more questions in the appropriate sections.:wink:

Deefish 08-17-2006 09:41 AM

Thanks Blue

Thank you Blue. Is there a good source to ID the fish specifically? Dee

joeshmoe 08-17-2006 10:18 AM

http://www.fishforum.com/viewforum.php?f=15 That might hel.

Lupin 08-17-2006 07:00 PM

This one is completed with the list of all fish in each kingdom.:wink:
http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=98

Oceane 08-18-2006 01:35 PM

Hi Dee nice to meet someone else who likes cichlids. Like Blue mentionned you might have a problem keeping American and African cichlids in the same tank. You might like to keep an eye on your water stats, was your tank cycled?

Deefish 09-01-2006 03:02 PM

Hello all. I am such a flake! I was thinking that this site was communityfish.com and I could not find you again:(. Whew! I was really bumbed because I was learning a lot.

My cichlids are doing well. One of the convicts is very aggressive. Definately the worst of the bunch. Everyone seems to be holding their own as they are all the same size but do you think I should consider trading the convicts for Africans? I don't think that anyone is in danger at this point but will he get worse? The convicts are both males and one is definately dominate. It is amazing to watch them because one is definately brighter black and just more spectacular looking. The less dominate convict is very shy and most likely not too happy.

Oceane asked if my tank was cycled and I have to admit, no. I have checked the PH as suggested by Blue and did my first 50% water change. All seems to be going well. Thank you for your input. I have to admit I would miss Convict I, as I call him, but I want the best for all of the fish. D

Lupin 09-02-2006 12:51 AM

Hi Dee,
You have to remove the convicts, of course. They are the worst I used to have. Nothing more than breeding too much and ending up with bullies and bulldozers.

Deefish 09-03-2006 03:13 PM

Sad to see them go but I know you are right. I think my fish will be happier. Do you know if some stores will buy/trade? Too bad I'm not ready to put up another tank. I won't make this mistake again. I'll stick with Africans. Thanks Blue. Dee