Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   stocking and substrate help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-substrate-help-22869/)

jradish 04-07-2009 04:49 PM

stocking and substrate help

Okay I have a 20 gallon that has been up and running for a month and a half, fully cycled. In it right now are 3 male platty's(I started with 4, and now as I read the reason why they chase eachother is because they need females) 3 neon tetras, 2 rummy nose tetras ( one died this morning :( even though their noses are still bright red ) and 3 panda cory's. I want to just get rid of the platties ( will petco take them back?, I dont even care for refund).

I'd like to add 4 more rummy nose and 3 more neons and a betta fish. Also my girlfriend fell in love with the dwarf frogs and so she wants to get two of them to put in there. So the stocking would look like this
6 rummy nose
6 neons
3 panda corys
1 betta
2 dwarf frogs

Would that be overstocked? If so I would rather keep the rummy nose instead of the neons cause I like how they school together. Would their tails be too flashy for the betta?

Also I have gravel that may not be smooth enough for the corys and I've seen tanks that have a sand portion of their aquarium. Since I think I actually didnt even add enough gravel to begin with could I just take a little out and do a front half-sand and back-half gravel(since my plants are already rooted in the back)? Would the cory's actually work through the sanded half more? Thanks for the help!!

JohnnyD44 04-07-2009 05:14 PM

your stock looks fine, that almost what I have in my 20L.....the only thing I am not sure too sure of compatibility wise would be the betta and frogs......

as for your subtrate....yes, you can do a half gravel, half sand. i switched my tank from gravel to sand when I bought my cories...just make that when you buy your sand, you wash it....and wash it, and wash it again. When i put the sand in my 20 I filled a 5 gallon bucket and rinsed it out about 15 times....

my corries love the sand!!!

jradish 04-07-2009 05:19 PM

haha yeah I trying to find a reason to not get the frogs cause I've read they are difficult to feed

Nataku 04-08-2009 04:46 PM

Make sure they are truly african dwarf frogs, and not african clawed frogs (which are often mislabeled as ADFs). African clawed frogs are much more aggressive and will try to eat anything they can fit in their mouth, which is pretty much everything else in your stock list 0_o;

Some bettas get along with ADF, some do not. I think that's one of those things you just have to watch your individual fish for. Some bettas get on fine with these amphibians, some of them apparently make mortal enemies of each other and the frog will end up missing fingers, limbs, eyes, etc. until it's dead, or it succeeds in killing the betta. Watch them closely for the first couple days you stick them together, and see how they react. If it looks like its a relationship fast heading south, then separate them quickly, and see if your store will accept returns on the ADF.