Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   T5 bulbs with open hoods- Do fish jump out? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/t5-bulbs-open-hoods-do-fish-228522/)

All that is Fishy 07-17-2013 02:58 PM

T5 bulbs with open hoods- Do fish jump out?

Hi everyone,

I am getting a new tank and am considering getting high output lights. I have looked at T5 light fixtures, and most or all of them are open on top and just sit on the tank with a wire holder or something. So, my question is, with an open top like that, don't fish jump out? How do you prevent that from happening?

rexpepper651 07-17-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All that is Fishy (Post 2574442)
Hi everyone,

I am getting a new tank and am considering getting high output lights. I have looked at T5 light fixtures, and most or all of them are open on top and just sit on the tank with a wire holder or something. So, my question is, with an open top like that, don't fish jump out? How do you prevent that from happening?

i have an open top planted aquarium im not using t5's but i dont have jumper fish like hatches an such. no fish lose yet and ive had it this way for about 3 months now.

rexpepper651 07-17-2013 03:14 PM

oh i also have a thick cover of dwarf water lettuce to help them feel more safe

All that is Fishy 07-17-2013 04:41 PM

Thank you!

I am thinking of getting this:

25 Gallon Fish Tank Aqueon 25 Gallon Premium Aquarium Kit | PetSmart

rexpepper651 07-17-2013 05:01 PM

that has a glass top lid. which is nice. should work nicely for you. is it going to be a planted tank? im diggin on petsmarts sale too lol im actually going to pick up a filter from them in a little while haha.

DKRST 07-17-2013 05:07 PM

Jumping depends on the fish (and circumstances). I have angels in a 55 without a top and recently lost one. I think it was chased and jumped to "escape". A cover of floaters will reduce jumping for sure. A top certainly solves the issue!

All that is Fishy 07-17-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexpepper651 (Post 2575458)
that has a glass top lid. which is nice. should work nicely for you. is it going to be a planted tank? im diggin on petsmarts sale too lol im actually going to pick up a filter from them in a little while haha.

Wow, I did NOT see the lid. Thanks for pointing it out!

Yes, I will have plants. My current tank has plants, but I couldn't grow medium or high light plants because the light is not strong enough. So, I am wanting to try to grow higher light plants.

It looks like a cool tank. It just seems tall, so I am not sure if I should get this or a regular light but longer one. I want the fish to have plenty of room to swim.

rexpepper651 07-17-2013 05:42 PM

haha i know what you mean with the room. i have a 55 an i feel like its tall enough just not wide enough for my fish but i think thats the problem with this hobby. when is a tank "big enough" you prob would be alright growing high light plants but i hear high light needs co2. im not down with that jazz but if you are thats awesome. :)

Quantum 07-17-2013 07:23 PM

just FYI, the light in that kit is not high output T5

All that is Fishy 07-17-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantum (Post 2576586)
just FYI, the light in that kit is not high output T5

Uh oh.... Can I put high output bulbs in it?