Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   fluval 306 or api filstar xp2 (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/fluval-306-api-filstar-xp2-228393/)

rexpepper651 07-17-2013 10:43 AM

fluval 306 or api filstar xp2

so im finally getting back to finishing my other 55 gallon tank. now im having a problem choosing between these two filters. i have a 306 on my other 55 gallon. i really like it does a good job and it is almost silent. i got a great deal on it. now ive been reading good reviews about the xp2 and the price is close to what i paid for my fluval. does anyone have experience with this filter? is it well made? is it close to silent? hows the build quality of the unit? im not sure i like the media set up in the xp2 compared to the fluval. i do like the spray bar comes with the kit for the xp2 and that the hoses look like good construction compared to the fluvals black hose.

Agent13 07-17-2013 12:26 PM

Well... I will finally be setting up my xp4 later today and I'll let you know what I think of it. I'm sure it will be a bit of an emotional adjustment for me:lol: because I have really grown to love all of my fluval filters(HOBs) and my 2 eheims(canisters)... which both are very similar in concept with the media set up. And looks like the XP is VERY different..plus it feels weird seeing detailed intructions in english unlike the eheim and fuvals comical instructions which basically say - set up filter intall in tank ..plug in- lol
Almost makes me want to use the instructions. maaaybeee

rexpepper651 07-17-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent13 (Post 2573121)
Well... I will finally be setting up my xp4 later today and I'll let you know what I think of it. I'm sure it will be a bit of an emotional adjustment for me:lol: because I have really grown to love all of my fluval filters(HOBs) and my 2 eheims(canisters)... which both are very similar in concept with the media set up. And looks like the XP is VERY different..plus it feels weird seeing detailed intructions in english unlike the eheim and fuvals comical instructions which basically say - set up filter intall in tank ..plug in- lol
Almost makes me want to use the instructions. maaaybeee

haha when i put my fluval together i didnt use instructions i was like this is a joke right? but i think they were serious when they made em. i think im going to try it out. the price is cheap thanks to petsmarts sale. 124.99. let me know how your install goes and how you like it agent!

Agent13 07-17-2013 12:46 PM

Will do! ..only thing I will say is I know I'm going to tweak it a bit. I want a spray bar not the nozzel it comes with. I'll be sure to let you know what I think of it
and yes ..I looked at the instructions on my first fluval and after reading the 3 or what maybe 4 words which they considered instructions I was expecting at least another line saying "and good luck mo' fo'!" lol

rexpepper651 07-17-2013 12:56 PM

i thought they come with spray bars??

Agent13 07-17-2013 01:03 PM

I assumed that too till someone else got one and hers didn't. No biggie.. not the first time and surely not the last time I have altered a filter. So with an XP4 not having a spray bar I'd be willing to bet the smaller ones don't come with one either.

rexpepper651 07-17-2013 01:29 PM

aww man i was looking forward to using a spray bar guess ill have to stop at the hardware store. i think im going to go with it. gotta give other products a try

rexpepper651 07-17-2013 01:35 PM

this site show that the replacement parts tray has a spray bar? Filstar XP Parts Tray | thatpetplace.com

Agent13 07-17-2013 01:47 PM

Yep.. Saw that. hate to wait for it to ship. I'm stoping by the fish store that I get my cichlids from first to see if they keep that in stock. Close to my work plus(I want to see what new cichlids came in yesterday;-))

rexpepper651 07-17-2013 01:54 PM

aww yeah i wanna look at fish too! hmm what diy do you use to make your bars?