Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Boycotting consumerism for 2007 (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/boycotting-consumerism-2007-a-2283/)

Alexis 01-05-2007 12:10 PM

Boycotting consumerism for 2007

I have decided to do something drastic.

For 2007, I am buying nothing new this year.
In the past, I have had the rule that I had to TRY to buy used first, but this year, I'm going whole hog.
I got the idea off the internet.
I am going to make the exception of parts for my truck if needed and parts for my house and rentals (appliances, plumbing, heating, etc.), food, and hygiene items.

So far, I'm doing pretty well, In the past 5 days, I've only bought some dust masks for a clean up job--but that was before I made the decision.

What do y'all think?

Lauri 01-05-2007 12:17 PM

That is an interesting idea. May have to look into that. Think of all the money we would save if we only bought what we "needed" to survive.

jones57742 01-05-2007 12:47 PM

Re: Boycotting consumerism for 2007

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexis
What do y'all think?

Yep: believe it or not West Texas Rednecks are into recycling:

Putting plastic bags into the recycle recepticle at Albertson's;

Purchasing recycled products if the cost is "even close to" the cost of new products and

Placing as much putrescible waste in my red wiggler worm bins as they can consume.

Got any ideas on mechanical filtration media.
The media can only be soaked in a mild chlorine solution and washed "so many times".

TR

fish_4_all 01-05-2007 11:19 PM

Interesting idea, I will have to think about what else can be purchased used. You did forget about gasoline though, unless you ride a bike or walk. ;) Recycled oil is in most synthetic cross blends. Used glass is easy to come by.

The worm bin idea is one I am considering if I can get it set up and keep the temp stable. Maybe even a food source if you aren't too squeemish.

Mechanical filtration:
Old air purifier carbon filters, they wash up really well and work very well
Window screen that has been ripped out by the neighbors cat
Nylons for micro filtration

jones57742 01-07-2007 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_4_all
The worm bin idea is one I am considering if I can get it set up and keep the temp stable.

The temperature does not have to be that stable for red wigglers.
The temperature in the shop at my office varies from approximately 60F on some winter days to approximately 90F on some summer days.
The "mass" in the worm bins obviously help significantly "dampen" the daily temperature changes (as well as the synthetic container).
As best as I can observe at low temperatures and high temperatures reproduction ceases but worm life does not.

Quote:

Maybe even a food source if you aren't too squeemish.

Only for fishies!!!

Quote:

Mechanical filtration:
Old air purifier carbon filters, they wash up really well and work very well

I do not use carbon in my filtration process due to the possibility of HITH.

Quote:

Nylons for micro filtration

Yep: tried that one.
The openings in Chris' pantyhose are way to fine for normal use.
The openings in her fishnet stockings are coarser than the "blue/white" filter pads.

I have found a very limited use for pantyhose in mechanical filtration (added the mechanical filtration part to cut down on laughter).
I have a wet/dry filtration system (I did not design it as it came from Tenecor and hence the "crispy critter" pumps when experimenting).
If I notice "much" deleterious material in the tank water I can place two 50Mu pads on top of three layers of panty hose and within hours all the deleterious material is gone from the tank water.
I only do this on weekends or other days when I am home as this lamination quickly clogs results in "crispy critter" pump.

TR